If you are an SFU student who plans to travel outside of Canada for any SFU-affiliated reason, including research, an exchange, an international work co-op, a practicum or to study; we strongly recommend that you complete the following list of steps before your departure from Canada.
Please continue by choosing an option below.
Student Travel to the USA for Less than 10 days
1. Check the Global Affairs Canada advisory level for the country you will visit
Read the posted travel advice for your destination and continue with the next step.
2. Register your travel
Register with the Registration of Canadians Abroad. Students who are not Canadian citizens are strongly encouraged to register with their home country’s Foreign Affairs department/ministry.
3. Complete an Emergency Plan (See Forms)
5. Complete a Waiver or an Assumption of Risks Form (See Forms)
8. Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to Canada and that you have all the necessary travel documents including visas
10. Ensure that you have adequate health insurance and travel insurance
You must have comprehensive and sufficient insurance coverage appropriate to travel, study, and work overseas. It is strongly recommended that you review the policies carefully, including the fine print, to ensure that you know what it covers and more importantly, what it does not cover.
You are a graduate student, travelling to a country with a Global Affairs Canada risk rating of Level 1 or Level 2.
Please select from one of the following options:
1) You are travelling alone (e.g. exchange, joint degree, co-op, practicum)
2) You are traveling as part of a group (e.g. Field School, Cohort travel)
Graduate Student Traveling to High Risk Country
You are a graduate student planning to travel either alone or as part of a group, to a country with a Global Affairs Canada risk rating of Level 3 or 4.
As of July 2016, countries on this list include the following*:
Afghanistan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Chad, Central African Republic, Congo (Republic of), Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Eritrea, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, North Korea, Pakistan, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Turkey, Yemen
(*Note: when there is a discrepancy between this list and the one on the Global Affairs Canada website, the Global Affairs Canada website shall be taken as correct. SFU reserves the right to classify additional destinations as high-risk for the purposes of applying the Travel Safety Procedures for Student Travel.)
If you wish to apply for special authorization to visit any one of these countries please click here.