Undergraduate Students

1. Check the Government of Canada advisory level for the country you will visit

 Advisory Level  Advisory Level Description
1  Exercise normal security precautions
2  Exercise a high degree of caution
3  Avoid non-essential travel
4  Avoid all travel

If you are travelling to a country with a Level 1 advisory (Exercise Normal Security Precautions) or a Level 2 advisory (Exercise a High Degree of Caution), it is strongly recommended that you complete Steps 2-11 below.

 Undergraduate students are not permitted to travel to countries with a Level 3 or 4 advisory.

2. Register your travel

Register in SFU's International Travel Safety Database.

Register with Registration of Canadians Abroad.

3. Complete an Emergency Plan

4. Complete a Terms of Participation Contract

5. Complete an Informed Consent Form for International Travel

If you will be under 19 years old on the first day of your travels, you should also complete the Parental Consent Form.

6. Complete a Consent to Disclose Personal Information Form

7. Attend a Pre-Departure Orientation

Complete all designated safety training and trip preparation sessions. This includes a pre-departure orientation offered either by your department, by International Student Services or through Safety and Risk Services. The person/department who is organizing/supervising/signing off on your trip may have other requirements.

As students, you will have varying levels of experience travelling to international destinations, and some of you may need more information, support, and pre-departure safety training than others. You are responsible for ensuring that these needs are addressed.

8. Ensure that your passport is valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of your return to Canada and that you have all the necessary travel documents including visas

Ensure that you have the appropriate travel documents, including passport, visas, and any others that might be required to clear customs and immigration in the host country. It is strongly recommended that you also leave copies of these documents with your emergency contact(s). Consult with the host country’s consulate regarding any other requirements, and obtain the appropriate driver’s licence and permits (if applicable). 

9. Visit Your Doctor and/or a Travel Clinic

Ensure that all of your immunizations are up to date, and that you have all necessary prescriptions for your trip.

Immunization may be required for travel outside Canada depending on the person’s destination and intended length of stay, and whether or not his or her routine immunizations are up-to-date. It can take several weeks for a vaccine to protect against a disease; hence, travellers should see their family physician or visit a travel clinic at least two to three months before their trip. Travellers should keep their vaccination records in a safe and accessible place and carry copies when they travel. Travellers should also be aware that some common prescription medications which are legal in Canada  (such as birth control, cold medications and pain killers)can be illegal in other countries.

For more information, see the Health & Safety section under Further Information & Resources.

10. Ensure that you have adequate health insurance and travel insurance

You must have comprehensive and sufficient insurance coverage appropriate to travel, study, and work abroad. Review your policy carefully, including the fine print, to ensure that you know what it covers and more importantly, what it does not cover.

11. Create and follow a check-in plan

You should establish a procedure for regularly checking in with a contact person at SFU, stating clearly what that person should do if you fail to check in at the pre-determined time. It is also recommended that ou develop an alternate communication plan in case telephone or email becomes unavailable.

12. Set up International SOS Email Alerts and download app

Sign in to the membership portal at www.internationalsos.com and sign up for their health and security email alerts for any countries they will be visiting. If travelling with a smartphone, you should also download the International SOS Assistance App.