As part of Simon Fraser University’s International Travel Safety Program, we have invested in global medical and security assistance through International SOS. This program is designed to keep our students, faculty and staff members healthy, safe and secure while they are traveling or living abroad and we strongly encourage you to take advantage of these services and online resources.
International SOS provides medical, security and logistical expertise to help safeguard our international travellers. So, if you lose your medication in Prague, need to see a doctor in New Delhi, get pick-pocketed in Rio or, in a more serious circumstance, are in a serious accident, you should immediately contact International SOS.
Register your travel with SFU's International Travel Safety Registration System
to receive your International SOS membership number.
Before you travel internationally, you can log onto the International SOS website, with your membership number, where you can sign up for medical and travel security email alerts and review country-specific reports that will help you prepare for your trip. You can also download the ISOS Assistance App which will give you access to one-click dialing to the closest International SOS Assistance Centre, mobile friendly medical and security information, and the latest medical and security alerts.
While abroad, contact International SOS for any medical and travel security enquiries, routine or emergency in nature. ISOS can find a local nurse, internationally-trained doctor or security specialist near you.
In an emergency, International SOS can provide all necessary emergency services including: arranging medical transportation, monitoring your condition and provide advice along the way, evacuating you when necessary, and making travel arrangements for family members so you can focus on getting better.
Their team of over 11,000 full-time professionals includes 2,500 doctors, and over 200 security specialists. Their staff can speak 99 languages, and have offices in 90 countries around the world. International SOS also works with almost 80,000 qualified partners, including verified hospitals, pharmacies, and specialists.
Note: International SOS is not an insurance company. They are a travel assistance company. Even though you have free travel assistance through SFU's contract with International SOS, you are still responsible for obtaining suitable travel insurance.
Benefits of International SOS Membership
- Emergency evacuation
- Medically-supervised repatriation
- Companion ticket
- Additional travel and accommodation arrangements after medical evacuation
- Repatriation of mortal remains
- Return home of minor children
- Medical monitoring
- Inpatient admission and identification of receiving physician
- Emergency and routine medical advice
- Pre-trip information on travel health issues
- Medical and dental referrals
- Outpatient referrals
- Outpatient case management
- Claims assistance
- Outpatient medical expense guarantee and payment, upon approval
- Inpatient medical expense guarantee, cost review and payment
- Dispatch of medication and medical supplies
The joint venture of International SOS and Control Risks provides you access to the following services:
- Urgent and non-urgent travel security assistance and advice by telephone
- Daily online and email updates on the latest travel security developments
- Special Advisory emails with advice in response to significant travel security incidents
- Security and travel information on 220 countries and more than 330 cities
- Access to security evacuation
- Coordination of post-evacuation debriefs and counselling
- Legal referrals
- Emergency message transmission
- Translations and interpreters
- Lost document advice
- Ground transportation and accommodations for accompanying family members
- Emergency personal cash advances