An English minor must complete at least 28 units of English courses, including:
- 12 units of lower division English courses, at least 6 of which must be at the 100 level and at least 6 of which must be at the 200 level; and
- 16 units of upper division English courses, at least 4 of which must be at the 400 level (excluding any directed studies courses, i.e., ENGL 441 and 442).
No courses from other departments may be substituted for this program's English courses.
Students must maintain at least a 2.00 grade point average in English courses.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences Degree Requirements
For all bachelor of arts (BA) programs, students complete 120 units, which includes
- at least 60 units that must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- at least 45 upper division units, of which at least 30 upper division units must be completed at Simon Fraser University
- at least 65 units (including 21 upper division units) in Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences courses
- satisfaction of the writing, quantitative, and breadth requirements
- an overall cumulative grade point average (CGPA) and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0, and a program (major, joint major, extended minor, minor) CGPA and upper division CGPA of at least 2.0
For students in other Faculties, please check your Faculty's overall degree requirements: https://www.sfu.ca/students/calendar/faculties-research.html
Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements
Students admitted to Simon Fraser University beginning in the fall 2006 term must meet writing, quantitative and breadth requirements as part of any degree program they may undertake. See Writing, Quantitative, and Breadth Requirements for university-wide information.
WQB Graduation Requirements
A grade of C- or better is required to earn W, Q or B credit
|W - Writing||
|Must include at least one upper division course, taken at Simon Fraser University within the student’s major subject|
|Q - Quantitative||
|Q courses may be lower or upper division|
|B - Breadth||
|Designated Breadth||Must be outside the student’s major subject, and may be lower or upper division
6 units Social Sciences: B-Soc
6 units Humanities: B-Hum
6 units Sciences: B-Sci
|Additional Breadth||6 units outside the student’s major subject (may or may not be B-designated courses, and will likely help fulfil individual degree program requirements)
Students choosing to complete a joint major, joint honours, double major, two extended minors, an extended minor and a minor, or two minors may satisfy the breadth requirements (designated or not designated) with courses completed in either one or both program areas.