SFU Calendar 2001-2002

Table of Contents : searchable with the Find function of your web browser Course Database or Course Outlines
(opens in new window)
Financial Assistance
Index : searchable with the Find function of your web browser Calendar .pdfs Office of the Registrar / SFU

Government Administered Programs

Canadian Armed Forces Subsidization Plans

Admission Requirements

An applicant must be a Canadian citizen; be physically fit for enrolment in the Canadian Forces; and be at least 16 years of age on the first day of January of the year the student commences first year studies at university.

How to Apply

Individuals interested in obtaining more information on, or wishing to make application for, any of these plans are requested to contact: Commanding Officer, Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre, 757 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, BC, V6C 1A1.

Government Loans

A loan is a sum of money borrowed by a student who proves financial need on a promise to repay at some specified time.

Canada Student Loan/BC Student Assistance

The purpose of the Canada Student Loan/BC Student Assistance Program is to assist students whose resources are insufficient to provide the cost of full time studies at the post secondary level of education. Therefore, funds under the program are granted only where the financial resources available to students from parents, summer or other employment, part time work, or other sources, are insufficient to meet their estimated educational costs. Normally, the funds provided under this program will be disbursed through a combination of the Canada Student Loan and BC Student Assistance. Students in the first 136 weeks of undergraduate study receiving student financial assistance at a BC public post-secondary institution may be eligible for grant funding either in the form of a BC grant or Canada Millennium Scholarship Foundation Bursary (CMS Grant). Some students with dependent children may qualify for Canada Study Grant funding. A detailed booklet describing the program in full is available at Financial Assistance.


Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents (landed immigrants) to be eligible. Assistance will be provided to eligible registered full time students taking a minimum of 60% or nine regular credit hours (40% or six credit hours for students with permanent disabilities) of a full program of study leading to a certificate, diploma or undergraduate degree, or registered full time (part time for students with permanent disabilities) graduate students. The amount of assistance awarded will be based on assessed need as determined by the provincial authority.

Currently, single full time students are eligible for a maximum of $4,420 in BC Student Assistance each semester. The maximum for students with dependent children is $7,395 a semester. Students can apply for BC Student Assistance for either one semester or two semesters at once (e.g. fall only, spring only, fall and spring).

A student in need of a Canada Student Loan/BC Student Assistance must first obtain an application package from Financial Assistance. The application must be completed carefully and accurately by the student, and where applicable, by the spouse or parent(s) and mailed to the Student Services Branch in Victoria. If the student's application is approved, the student will receive in the mail a notification of award from the Student Services Branch. After receiving this Notification, the student's Canada Student Loan document will be mailed to the student from Victoria and the student will then take the loan document to a designated Canada Post Outlet for processing. Students can search for a designated Canada Post Outlet near them by visiting the CanLearn website at www.canlearn.ca or by calling the National Student Loans Service Centre at 1-888-815-4514.

If the student is also eligible for BC Student Assistance, the BC loan certificate and grant (BC/CMS grant) cheques will be mailed to the student from the Student Services Branch, usually at the mid-point of the period of study for which assistance was awarded, and the student will then take the loan certificate to any designated Canada Post Outlet or any Government Agent's Office in British Columbia. For a list of the locations in your area, contact British Columbia Student Loan Service Bureau at 1-877-535-7680 or visit www.bcslservicebureau.com.

Students should note the summary of obligations on the reverse side of the loan certificate prior to cashing the loan. Interest on the loans is paid by the federal or provincial government as long as the student is registered as a full time student. Students must be undertaking a minimum of nine regular credit hours (six credit hours for students with permanent disabilities) in the current semester, be a registered full time (part time for students with permanent disabilities) graduate student, or enrolled in a co-op education work term to be considered eligible for interest free status.

Continuation/Reinstatement of Interest-Free Status

It is important to remember that Canada Student Loans and provincial student loans are separate loans.

The Canada Student Loan - Schedule 1 includes an additional page called copy 22A that is used to continue or reinstate interest-free status on Canada Student Loans negotiated prior to August 1, 2000. Students are responsible for ensuring the Copy 22A or a Schedule 2 (Confirmation of Enrollment and Continuation of Interest-Free Status Form) is provided to the bank holding their loan negotiated prior to August 1, 2000. If students are not negotiating a new Canada Student Loan, they will need to submit a Schedule 2 to the bank holding their loan negotiated prior to August 1, 2000 and/or the National Student Loans Service Centre holding their loan negotiated after August 1, 2000.

The BC Student Loan Service Bureau will automatically update the interest-free status of outstanding BC student loans whenever a new BC Student Loan is presented for negotiation. As a result, students will only need a Certificate 2 (Continuation or Reinstatement of Interest-Free Status), if they are not receiving a new BC Student Loan or if they will go into repayment status before negotiating a new BC Student Loan. Students should contact their bank if they have any questions about the status of their BC loan negotiated prior to August 1, 2000 or BC Student Loan Service Bureau for loans negotiated after August 1, 2000.

For appeals, reassessments or other concerns, please contact Financial Assistance.

The provincial government has various repayment options and debt management tools available to graduating students. For more information regarding these programs, contact the Student Services Branch, at the following address:

Student Services Branch, Ministry of Advanced Education, Training and Technology.

Mailing address: PO Box 9173 Stn Prov Govt, Victoria, BC, V8W 9H7.

Location address: 2nd floor, 1106 Cook Street, Victoria BC, V8V 3Z9

Tel: (250) 387-6100 Victoria, 660-2610 Lower Mainland, 1-800-561-1818 Toll-free in Canada, (250) 952-6832 TTY line for the hearing impaired

Fax: (250) 356-9455, 1-888-262-2112 Toll-Free in Canada

Website: www.aett.gov.bc.ca/studentservices.

National Student Loans Service Centre, Public Institutions Division, PO Box 4030, Mississauga ON L5A 4M4, Tel: 1-888-815-4514 (within North America), 800-2-225-2501 (outside North America), 1-888-815-4556 TTY line for the hearing impaired, Fax: 1-888-815-4657 (Toll-Free within North America)

BC Student Loan Service Bureau, PO Box 4878, Station Terminal, Vancouver, BC, V6B 4A4, Tel: 1877535-7680 (Toll-Free)
Website: www.bcslservicebureau.com

Students from other Provinces and Territories

Information and applications regarding government student assistance from other Canadian provinces and territories is available at Financial Assistance, MBC 3200 or call 778.782 4356.

International Student Loans

United States Students

Citizens (or eligible non-citizens) of the United States attending the university may apply for funding through the US Department of Education Student Financial Assistance Program. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed by the student and submitted to the Federal Student Aid Programs. A Student Aid Report (SAR) is then issued to the student. To receive Stafford loans, the student must submit the SAR to the Simon Fraser University Financial Assistance office, with a master promissory note and school certification form (both available from your lender or state guarantee agency). Financial Assistance calculates the student's costs, completes the school section of the application, and then forwards the application to the appropriate agency for processing.

For more information regarding financial aid from the US Department of Education, call: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243), or www.ed.gov/studentaid.

Students with Canadian permanent resident status may be eligible to apply for Canada Student Loans. See Canada Student Loans/BC Student Assistance.

Students from other countries

Students who are not Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents, and who will require financial assistance to attend Simon Fraser University must arrange such assistance in their country of origin before arrival in Canada.

Simon Fraser University permits non-Canadian students to compete for scholarships once they have enrolled at the University on the basis of course work undertaken at Simon Fraser University. It must be stressed that non-Canadian students should not predicate their tuition and living expense estimates upon these sources. Non-Canadian students are normally not permitted to work in Canada. Such students are expected and required by federal law to have sufficient funds guaranteed for their education prior to arrival in Canada.

Government Part-time Grants/Loans

Part time students who are Canadian citizens or landed immigrants and who are not in default of previous federal student loans or grants may apply for the federal part-time grant and loan programs.

If you are a part time student with demonstrated financial need, you may qualify for a federal study grant of up to $1,200. Grants are targeted to students with dependents and possibly other students with special circumstances who are not able to take full time studies.

Federal student loans up to $4,000 are also available to part time students with financial need. These loans supplement other financial resources such as earnings, scholarships and bursaries.

Applications and information are available from Financial Assistance. The deadline for applications is eight weeks before the end of each semester.

Grants for Students with Permanent Disabilities

A federal grant program is available to students with permanent disabilities. Check with the service co-ordinator for students with disabilities in MBC 1250 or call 778.782 3112.

Grants for female doctoral students

A federal grant program is available to female doctoral students in specific doctoral programs. Please call 778.782 4356 for further information.

Work-study Program

The Work-Study program provides part time on-campus jobs for full time students during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. To become eligible, students must apply for BCSAP funding. If their financial need is greater than the maximum BCSAP funding, they may be notified by Financial Assistance that they are eligible for Work-Study placement. Each Work-Study placement lasts one semester and pays approximately $8.75 an hour, covering a range of 90 to 140 hours of work.

Please email the Webmaster with any comments or problems with this website. Calendar Home Page Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6
Index : searchable with the Find function in your web browser Calendar.pdfs Office of the Registrar / SFU
Table of Contents : searchable with the Find function in your web browser Course Database or Course Outlines
(opens in new window)
Financial Assistance