The SFU Bennett Library has many services available for students with disabilities. Some of these services include assistance with physical access, retrieval from stacks, cards for student aids, bookable study rooms and alternate format materials. There is an adaptive computer station equipped with software on the fifth floor of the library for the use of students with disabilities.
Accessibility at the SFU Bennett Library
- Detailed Library floor plans are available on the library’s Where is It? webpage.
- The entrance doors to the library are equipped with motion detectors to open automatically. The entrance to the library is on the third floor, on the ground-level of Convocation Mall.
- Wheelchair accessible washrooms are available on floors 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7. Not all the library's washrooms are accessible; those that are accessible are marked with a wheelchair symbol on or above the door.
- All elevators in the library are wheelchair accessible.
- Photocopy machines lowered for easier access are located in the Lam Centre on the first floor and in the centre of the sixth floor. Other machines are located in Reserves on the third floor and at the east end of the third floor.
- There is a height adjustable table available on the 6th floor of the library in the southwest corner.
- In the event of a fire alarm, go to a stairwell landing where a fire warden will direct you.
- Where the library building or facilities restrict access, do not hesitate to ask for assistance.
Sending Someone to Pick Up Library Materials on Your Behalf
If you have a student aide, the library can issue a card that allows your aide to borrow library materials on your behalf. This can be arranged at the circulation desk.
SFU students may phone the Reference Desk at 778.782.5735 to ask whether the Library owns a particular book or journal or to ask a question. Telephone enquiries are limited to three items. The same kind of questions can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org; you can expect a response within one working day. More in-depth questions can be sent directly to the Reference Librarian assigned to your subject area.
If you need special assistance, please contact Scott Mackenzie at 778.782.5596 or email@example.com.
Other Library contacts
Janis McKenzie, Reference Tours/Orientation, 778.782.6865 or firstname.lastname@example.org