Apply to Become an SFU Exchange Buddy
What is the Exchange Buddy Program?
The Exchange Buddy Program (formerly known as the GPS Buddy Program) is part of the Global Community Program and is a social network of SFU students who are interested in developing global friendships and providing support for new exchange students to SFU.
The Exchange Buddy Program matches you with an exchange or study abroad student who is coming to SFU for one or two terms. As their "SFU Buddy", your responsibilities will be to correspond with them prior to their arrival to help them prepare for their time in Vancouver. Once they arrive you will connect with them to support their transition to SFU and to their new life in Metro Vancouver. You will be invited to social events where you can expand your international network of friends!
What are the benefits?
- Gain an international perspective
- Meet students from around the world
- Attend fun social events organized by ISS and the Global Community Program
- Create an international network of friends
Am I eligible? We are looking for students who:
- Have studied at SFU for at least one term
- Will be studying at one of SFU's campuses for the term they are applying to be an SFU Partner (ie not on co-op, taking a term off, etc)
- Are interested in helping new students adjust to SFU/Vancouver/Canada
- Want to gain an international perspective
- Will be able to correspond with their partner via email for at least 1 month prior to the start of the term, and meet with them when they arrive.
- Help them acclimatize to their new life here at SFU.
We are looking for students who genuinely wish to help new exchange students transition to life at SFU and Canada. Regardless of whether you have travelled abroad or have never left BC, if you are keen to connect with your "internationally-minded" peers and make a difference for these new exchange students, we want you in the program.
What is the time commitment?
- If this is your first time in the Exchange Buddy Program, there will be a Canvas Course Orientation (approx 1.5 hours)
- You must be able to connect with your Exchange Buddy when you are notified of your match.
- Correspond with your buddy at least one month before their arrival. August for Fall Exchange and December for Spring Exchange Buddies
- Once your Exchange Buddy arrives, meet and connect with him/her at our Exchange events or at an SFU campus to make them feel welcomed.
- The rest is up to you!
How do I apply for a Exchange Buddy?
Click Exchange Buddy Program Fall 2019 and complete a student registration/log in (with your SFU email address) to apply in the SFU Study Abroad application system.
1) Complete the application in one step, and "Save and Continue"
2) Review your responses, then "Save Application"
You can make further changes to your application once saved.
3) To confirm your application click "Submit Application" by the Application Deadline.
The application will be used to send your match information and is where you can track your Buddy Program involvement.
Once you have submitted your application, if you decide you would like to withdraw your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
How do you decide who my Exchange Buddy will be?
If your application is approved, you will generally be matched with either 1 or 2 Exchange Buddies. When matching you with your buddy(s), we will consider all of the information you have provided on your application to make the experience as mutually beneficial as possible!
Y Application is now open!
Deadline: June 30, 2019
(See below for details)