Tax Information (1098-T)

Who is this information for?

This information is for people who must file USA income tax returns.

What's new?

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has added new requirements for taxpayers wishing to claim education tax benefits. For the 2016 taxation year and later, USA taxpayers must submit Form 1098-T to claim tuition and fee deductions, American opportunity tax credits (AOTC) and lifetime learning credits (LLC). Please refer to Publication 970 from Department of the Treasury, IRS.

To help you claim education tax benefits, SFU needs you to complete both of the following forms:

  1. W9-S form
    • Download the W9-S form
    • Complete the form* and ensure you include your student number
    • Return the form to the Registrar and Information Service offices in person or scan the completed form and attach it in an email to

      *Please make sure the information on the WS-9 form is correct and reflects the information on your SFU student account. Log in to goSFU to check.
  2. Request for 1098-T form
    • Complete and submit this form to provide proof that you have requested us to provide you with the 1098-T form.

Claiming your education tax credits

To claim your education tax credits on your tax return, use the T2202 form or your Student Account statement to substantiate payment of qualified tuition and related expenses.

SFU is an eligible Title IV Institution where we provide the T2202: Tuition and Education Amount Certificate in lieu of Form 1098-T.

Our Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE) ID Number is 00844400.

Our IRS number, or Employer Identification Number (EIN), is 30-0505256.