Social Insurance Number

In compliance with Canada Revenue Agency regulations, students paying tuition at a Canadian university are required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN) and to provide that number to the university.

What is a Social Insurance Number and how do you obtain one?

The Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9-digit number that you need to work and be paid in Canada and to access government programs and benefits. You also need a SIN in order to file Canadian taxes.

You can apply for a SIN in person at a Service Canada Office. Your SIN will be issued the day you apply. Bring your original birth certificate or another primary document to Service Canada when you apply. 

After you have obtained a Social Insurance Number, please update your student information, as follows:

  • Log in to goSFU
  • Under Personal Information, select SIN/SSN
  • Enter your SIN number and click Submit