Global Community Mentor
The Global Community Mentorship Program (GCMP) is a volunteer program designed to promote intercultural communication, understanding, and friendships between SFU students of culturally diverse backgrounds. The program supports cultural adjustment and strives to encourage supportive connections across cultures. Mentors provide students with information about resources and opportunities at SFU that might be of interest, invite them to social and cultural events on and off campus, and answer questions about day-to-day life in Canada. Mentors are committed to their roles from August to April of the following year.
There are two positions available for undergraduate students and one position for graduate students:
- Are a source of information—a mentor will be a primary contact person, initially via email and later in person, providing information, support and guidance; someone who is available to discuss any concerns and issues that arise; and who can refer the student to appropriate services on campus.
- Are a cultural guide—a mentor will help introduce the new student to campus and city life.
Job ID: 4488 (Undergraduate Mentor)
Job ID: 4491 (Graduate Mentor)
- Providing ongoing support, training and feedback for mentors assigned to their faculty groups. Team leaders typically lead a group of approximately 4-6 mentors.
- Maintain regular communication with their team, set monthly meetings with all team members, and send monthly activity reports to the program coordinator.
- Team leaders are also mentors.
Job ID: 4340 (Undergraduate Team Leader)
Want to learn more?
Contact: Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)
For Position Details and how to apply:
- Go to myinvolvement.sfu.ca and click on "Student"
- Log in with your computing ID and password
- From the left hand menu, click on "Opportunities"
- Click on "Getting Involved"
- Enter the Job ID in the "Search by Opportunity ID" search field
i Note: This opportunity is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), an official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Campus: Burnaby/ Vancouver/ Surrey
Hiring period: March/April
Job ID: 4488, 4491 & 4341
Start date: Summer 2018
Application deadline: June 11, 2018