Leadership from the Outside In
Passport to Leadership 1
Passport to Leadership (P2L): Through a series of six interactive workshops, you'll develop leadership knowledge and skills.
Whether you're new to leadership, or already an experienced student leader, P2L gives you the necessary skills to make a difference in your workplace or organization. Successfully complete the series and receive recognition on your Co-Curricular Record.
Passport to Leadership 1 (P2L 1): Viewing Leadership from the Outside In
Leadership is about how you show up. Each of us has the potential to be a leader, and we practice leadership in our unique way. And our expectations of leaders – what it takes to be a leader, the qualities we expect leaders to embody – are changing as well.
Module 1: (Re)Defining Leadership
Module 2: Leading with Authenticity
Module 3: Connecting with Others
Module 4: Collaboration and Teamwork
Module 5: Influencing Change
Module 6: Leadership in Your Community
To register, pick a Cohort:
|Register for Cohort A:||Mondays, September 21 – November 2 (no class week of October 12)
Time: 4:30 – 5:30 pm
|Register for Cohort B:||Tuesdays, September 22 – November 3 (no class week of October 12)
Time: 8:30 – 9:30 am
|Register for Cohort C:||Thursdays, September 24 – November 5 (no class week of October 12)
Time: 12:30 – 1:30 pm
What will I learn in P2L 1?
During this program you will:
- Explore your current understanding or personal conceptions of leadership, and how you practice leadership
- Discuss ideas with peers in leadership pods and give, and receive constructive feedback
- Apply techniques that encourage you to reverse your perspective to see yourself as others do
- Reflect on ways to communicate with intention, authenticity, and vulnerability
- Identify some of the challenges of working with a team and how you can address them
- Challenge yourself to explore and identify ways to acknowledge different perspectives with sensitivity and awareness
- Explore how the social change model of leadership development relates to your personal leadership experiences
- Identify a personal call to action using a guided worksheet and reflect on the outcomes of your experience
How will the program be delivered?
- For Fall 2020, P2L 1 will be delivered exclusively online.
- You will engage with the same group of students during the six weeks, allowing you to make meaningful social connections with your peers.
- Reading materials, self-reflection assignments and completion of weekly leadership challenges will be provided through Canvas.
- Weekly live (synchronous), interactive sessions will be held using BlackBoard Collaborate Ultra (BB Collaborate Ultra). Access to the synchronous discussions will be through the Canvas modules. Completion of the activities in Canvas and active participation in the live sessions are essential to completing the program.
What is the time commitment?
P2L 1 will be delivered using a hybrid format: asynchronous content through Canvas that can be completed at your convenience, plus a weekly one-hour synchronous session.
- 45-60 minutes of online preparation prior to each session that will include readings, videos and assignments on Canvas.
- Six 60 minute live sessions. These sessions will feature facilitated discussions as well as opportunities to delve deeper into content with peers in online breakout rooms and Leadership Pods.
- Completion of 5 hours of volunteering in your community (or through SFU) and submission of a reflective piece.
How does it work?
To receive recognition on your Co-Curricular Record (CCR), a student must:
- attend, and participate, in the six weekly synchronous sessions;
- complete the required online assignments;
- complete a minimum of five hours volunteer experience in their community or at SFU; and
- submit the final reflection exercise by Tuesday, December 8 (last day of classes).
What is the cost?
- If you belong to one of the following groups – student volunteer (member of a campus club or organization, Student Ambassador/Welcome Leader or Peer Mentor), USES student (Undergraduate Scholars Entrance Scholarship recipient) or a Living Learning Community Participant – you are eligible for a fee waiver.
- If you are a member of one of the groups noted above, please register on Eventbrite as a Volunteer.
Workshops in the P2L Program series
P2L 1: Viewing Leadership from the Outside In
P2L 2: Exploring the Leader in You (more information coming soon)
Read more about P2L
If you have any questions about the program, please contact email@example.com.
To be announced shortly.
i Note: This opportunity is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), an official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Campus: Delivered online
Registration deadline: September 16
Start date: September 21