Passport to Leadership 1: Foundations of Leadership
Passport to Leadership 1 is a series of interactive workshops that introduces you to a range of leadership topics. Over the six week course, you will learn basic leadership skills that are useful in university and beyond. Students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the program will receive official recognition on their Co-Curricular Records.
What will I learn?
- Identify the key behaviours of effective leadership
- How to approach communication with intention
- Understand the significance of values, perceptions and assumptions
- How to navigate uncertainty by "creating your own luck"
What is the time commitment?
P2L 1 includes online and in-person components:
- Six in-person sessions -- each session is 1 hour and 50 minutes
- Approximately 30 minutes of online preparation prior to each session
Participants must attend all six in-person sessions and complete the required online assignments to receive recognition on their Co-Curricular Record.
How does it work?
P2L 1 is taken in a cohort with a single group of students. Online modules allow you to prepare for your cohort sessions in advance, creating the opportunity for more profound self-reflection and more insightful learning in your face-to-face sessions. You can build on your knowledge and understanding of the topics covered from one session to the next.
What is the cost?
- The cost to participate in P2L 1 is $95
- Students who are currently involved with eligible SFU volunteer programs may qualify for a fee waiver*
*To find out if you are eligible, follow the registration instructions below and sign up as a Volunteer or Student Ambassador. You will be given a list of eligible volunteer programs to select from. Please note that many programs have various levels of volunteerism, and not all volunteer programs are eligible for the fee waiver. There are a limited number of seats available for student volunteers each term.
"...everybody left that last session feeling like they had leadership potential. Seeing everyone so inspired was definitely a wonderful thing to witness."
"Awesome program. Gives you a small taste of what leadership can be like at the post secondary level. Definitely a stepping stone to more intensive programs provided at SFU."
"I enjoyed the program thoroughly. It provided me with insight into myself both professional and personally. I really enjoyed the speakers we had and they were all very charismatic and professional. They made our weekly session a safe place for ideas and different opinions."
The Passport to Leadership suite of programs allows you to explore your own leadership development, working with others, and maximizing your leadership potential.
Other workshops in the P2L Program series
Read more about P2L
If you have any questions about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO REGISTER
1. Go to myinvolvement.sfu.ca and click on "Student"
2. Log in with your computing ID and password
3. From the left hand menu, click on "Opportunities"
4. Click on "Career and Leadership Development"
5. Find Passport to Leadership 1 under the list of programs and click on "Register"
i Note: This opportunity is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), an official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Campus: Burnaby, Surrey & Vancouver
Start date: October 1, 2018
Registration deadline: September 30, 2018