Passport to Leadership 1: Foundations of Leadership
Passport to Leadership 1 is a series of interactive workshops on a range of leadership topics. Delivered by staff and student facilitators, the program introduces you to a broad range of basic leadership skills.
What are the benefits?
- Gain familiarity with key leadership skills and topics
- Meet new people
- Find out about leadership opportunities on campus
- Receive recognition for completing P2L 1 on your Co-Curricular Record
- Become eligible to enroll in subsequent Leadership programs (P2L 2, 3, and 4)
What is the time commitment?
P2L 1 includes both online and in-person components:
- Six in-person sessions - each session is one hour and 50 minutes (110 minutes)
- Approximately 30 minutes of online preparation (readings and reflection questions) per session
How does it work?
P2L 1 is taken in a cohort with a single group of students. Online modules allow you to prepare for your cohort sessions in advance, creating the opportunity for more profound self-reflection and more insightful learning in your face-to-face sessions. You can build on your knowledge and understanding of the topics covered from one session to the next.
Themes include: popular leadership concepts and myths; self-awareness and perception; communication strategies; respect, personal responsibility and appreciating diversity; personal values assessment, goal-setting and real-life application.
What is the cost?
P2L 1 costs $75.
Read student testimonials
"...everybody left that last session feeling like they had leadership potential. Seeing everyone so inspired was definitely a wonderful thing to witness."
"Awesome program. Gives you a small taste of what leadership can be like at the post secondary level. Definitely a stepping stone to more intensive programs provided at SFU."
"I enjoyed the program thoroughly. It provided me with insight into myself both professional and personally. I really enjoyed the speakers we had and they were all very charismatic and professional. They made our weekly session a safe place for ideas and different opinions."
The Passport to Leadership suite of programs allows you to explore your own leadership development, working with others, and maximizing your leadership potential.
Want to know more?
HOW TO REGISTER:
1. Go to myinvolvement.sfu.ca and click on "Student"
2. Log in with your computing ID and password
3. From the left hand menu, click on "Opportunities"
4. Click on "Career and Leadership Development"
5. Find Passport to Leadership 1 under the list of programs and click on "Register now!"
i Note: This opportunity is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record (CCR), an official University document that tracks students’ co-curricular involvement at SFU. Learn more about the Co-Curricular Record.
Campus: Burnaby, Surrey, Vancouver
Start date: May 29, 2017
Registration deadline: May 19, 2017