Overdose prevention & response

If you witness an individual suffering a suspected overdose call Campus Security or 911 immediately. Campus Security can get to a patient on campus very quickly and administer Narcan spray (if appropriate for the situation) while awaiting external emergency services personnel. This service is available at all SFU Campuses.

Campus Security personnel are on site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. They carry Narcan nasal spray in their medical bags. 
Health and Counselling Services has Naloxone in the clinics, which can be administered by a doctor or nurse during clinic hours.

SFU Campus Security Contact Information

or use blue emergency phones

From classroom phones contact Campus Security by dialling 1

Harbour Centre
Morris J Wosk Centre for Dialogue
Segal Graduate School of Business

From classroom phones contact Campus Security by dialling
12 Harbour Centre
13 Segal Graduate School of Business 

Goldcorp Centre for the Arts

Great Northern Way
Alexander Centre

Know the signs of an overdose

An overdose might look different from one person to the next. But there are a few things you can look for if you suspect someone may have overdosed on an opioid like fentanyl or any other drug.

Look for these signs if you think someone may have overdosed:

  • Slow, shallow breathing or no breathing
  • Severe sleepiness or person is not moving / responsive
  • Slow heartbeat
  • Person may be choking, or you can hear gurgling sounds
  • Cold, clammy skin
  • Trouble walking or talking
  • Pupils are tiny
  • If you suspect someone may have overdosed call 911 immediately, time is of the essence.

Other Resources available in British Columbia

Source: www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/overdose/what-you-need-to-know/recovery-services-treatment-support

Region-specific information for substance use recovery services and treatment

Interior Health Authority Mental Health and Substance Use Services
Vancouver Coastal Health Authority Substance Use Services  
First Nations Health Authority Substance Use Prevention and Treatment
Fraser Health Authority Mental Health and Substance Use
Island Health Authority Mental Health and Substance Use Services and Resources  
Northern Health Authority Mental Health and Addictions
BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC): Toward the Heart and Harm Reduction

Alcohol and Drug Information & Referral Service

Individual, family, and small group counselling for people of all ages who are affected by alcohol and other drug use - call the 24-hour BC Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service:

  • Lower Mainland: 604-660-9382
  • Toll-free anywhere in British Columbia: 1-800-663-1441

BC Mental Health & Substance Use Services

An agency of the Provincial Health Services Authority (PHSA) - substance use and mental health services for children, adolescents and adults across the province

Support Groups and Social Support

LifeRing (alcohol and drug peer support programs across B.C.)
Narcotics Anonymous  (peer support group for narcotic addictions)
Here to Help Information related to substance use and mental health, including personal stories, self-help resources and information about getting help now.
Kelty Mental Health Resource Centre A provincial resource centre that provides substance use and mental health information, resources, and peer support to children, youth and their families from across B.C.