See a doctor

Visit our health clinics like you would your family doctor.

SFU has a team of doctors, nurses, and medical office assistants available to provide you with basic medical services at our on-campus clinics located in Burnaby and Vancouver.

Making an appointment

To see a doctor, make an appointment over the phone by calling our clinic in Burnaby or Vancouver. Same-day appointments are limited and based on availability.

Basic medical services provided at the clinic are covered by the BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP). All students at SFU are enrolled in BC MSP. Please bring your CareCard or BC Services Card with you to your appointment.

Please note: We are experiencing medical appointment wait times. Same-day access is limited.


Appointments are booking for April 27 or later


Appointments are booking for May 2 or later

For additional medical clinics close to your location, please visit:


Burnaby Clinic


9:00am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday






Maggie Benston Centre
Room 0101

Vancouver Clinic


9:30am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday






Harbour Centre
Room 300

Missed classes and withdrawals

It is important to note that HCS staff can only provide supporting documentation. Any decision to authorize a withdrawal or deferral is made by the instructor or departmental chair.

Sick Notes

Instructors, or Academic Heads can modify or alter course requirements (e.g., midterms, assignments) for special reasons, such as illness, or personal issues. They may request a “sick note” (aka “medical note”) to help them make their decisions; however the final decision about whether a modification of course requirements is required or will be permitted, rests with the instructor, regardless of what may be stated on any medical note. The physicians at Health & Counselling (HCS) or anywhere else do not have the authority to exempt students from exams, assignments, etc. 

Do i qualify?

We encourage all undergraduate students to review the SFU Student Services withdrawals policy, and to discuss extensions, deferrals, and withdrawals with your professors and/or teaching assistants before requesting documentation from staff at HCS.

Supporting documents are provided at the discretion of the professional staff member when:

  • you are a patient/client of HCS.
  • HCS professionals are familiar with your situation and how it affected your ability to work/study/write exams.
  • retroactively, if you were a regular user of the HCS services during the time of difficulty and there is enough supporting information in your file to validate your request.
    (If you need a letter to support a request for retroactive withdrawals, please make an appointment with your counsellor.)

In addition, you need to demonstrate that you have a relevant issues management plan for the future. Not to worry, HCS staff can help you develop your strategy and resolve your problem creatively and definitively.


Where a requested change to course requirements relates to the impact of a permanent disability, as opposed to routine illness, students are required to work with the Centre for Students with Disabilities to address their needs.

FIC Students

Fraser International College's policy states that you do not need a sick note from a doctor for minor, short term illnesses (like a cold or flu) that prevent you from attending class or writing an exam.   

Graduate Student?

Students in graduate studies often have complex responsibilities outside their life as a student. Work, family and health can all require attention, and may interrupt a student's program of study and research. Accordingly, we have instituted a number of policies to help students manage their complex lives.

Please note that, in order to be fair to all students, we keep strictly to rules and deadlines when implementing these policies.

We also suggest that students inform their graduate programs and their senior supervisors of impending problems and interruptions. Please review the graduate students leaves and withdrawal policy for further information.

If you have any further questions, please contact the Dean of Graduate Studies Office at 778-782-3042.


If your instructor has not outlined a process to follow and you find yourself unable to meet your course commitments due to something beyond your control you should do the following:

  1. Contact your instructor immediately using the contact information they provided to you at start of the course.  If you can not find this, contact the academic department and request a message get to the instructor and that they respond.
  2. Provide the instructor the reasons for your absence (e.g., routine illness or chronic illness) and expected return date.  Find out if any documentation (i.e., medical note) is required at this point.
  3. Follow up with your instructor when you are able to return to class by making an appointment with your instructor and discussing options to make up missed work.
  • If you have a family doctor it is always good to see them for your assessment. If you do not have a local family doctor or cannot get in to see them, come to HCS. While seeing your doctor do not forget to ask for a note if you will be missing commitments.
    *Please note: Absolutely NO medical notes will be written by an HCS physician for a past illness if you were not assessed at HCS for that illness or occurrence.
  • Pandemic Situations: SFU may change overall policies related to sick notes during an official pandemic situation (such as the H1N1 pandemic of 2009). In the event of a pandemic, a campus-wide notification will detail any temporary change in practice.
  • Documentation: If a medical note is appropriate, please bring a Certificate of Illness (Health Care Provider Statementto your physician for completion, especially if it is required for mid terms, term papers and final exams.
    The completed note should state the limitations caused by your sickness (e.g., requires bed rest, will not be able to sit for extended periods, cannot concentrate, etc). 
  • HCS staff cannot validate notes from external clinics.  If your instructor is not satisfied with the sick note you have provided, you need to return to your treating physician. 
  • Drop-Ins: Due to the high volume of drop-in patients we encourage you to arrive as EARLY as possible on the day that you are ill and seeking a medical note. You can also try calling our clinic at 9am for an emergency drop-in appointment.
    No medical notes will be issued once the clinic is closed for the day or if you were not seen on the day that documentation was required.

Related Links

  • Medical Services Plan of B.C.(BC MSP)
    BC MSP is required for all SFU students. It provides basic health insurance and covers the costs associated with visiting a physician and the hospital. The website above provides details regarding coverage and the application process
  • Appointment Guide***
  • International Services for Students - Health Insurance
    Welcome to Canada and SFU! Health insurance for international students is available in many forms. This page has general information, health insurance options, as well as costs and the various applications processes.
  • Advising Services – Academic Difficulty
    If you are having difficulty with your courses at SFU, you should make an appointment with an academic advisor for guidance. This website will give you an overview of the different academic standings and how they affect you, as well as the policies associated with academic difficulty.
  • Withdrawals under Extenuating Circumstances
    If a medical condition will prevent you from completing a course you might consider applying for a withdrawal with extenuating circumstances. Learn more at the website above. 
  • Centre for Students with Disabilities
    Staff at the Centre for Students with Disabilities act as liaisons between students and faculty in the implementation of disability related services and accommodations. Find out more about what services they offer, hours and contact information at the website above.

Insurance and Fees

All SFU students are required to have medical insurance from the BC Medical Services Plan (BC MSP). This plan will cover the basic medical services you receive at SFU clinics.

For instructions on how to apply for BC MSP and information on your coverage, please see SFU's Medical Insurance page. 


Health & Counselling (HCS) shares one unit of confidentiality. This means that divisions of HCS may share your information when necessary for your care.

All records within HCS are confidential. Personal information can only be released outside the Centre with your written consent. Exceptions are only made in the case of life threatening emergencies or as required by law and/or public health regulations.

Collection of information

When you use any service with Health & Counselling, our staff must collect some of your personal information. We may also need to collect information from other health care providers, friends or family in order to provide comprehensive care or service.

When we collect this information, we will advise you. Only in exceptional circumstances can we collect information about you from other people without your consent. We are authorized to collect this information under the Protection of Privacy Act, the Medicare Protection Act, Medical Practitioner's Act, and Health Professionals Act.

Your information may be used for your present and future care or service, continuity of treatment, quality of care and service review, and teaching, education and research.