- Contact Us
- See a Doctor
- See a Counsellor
- LiveChat Support
- Drop-in HCS Advising
- Wellness Wednesdays - Ask the Nurse
- Stress Management and Building Resilience
- Understanding and Coping with Anxiety and Depression
- Navigating Stress and Seeking Balance
- Meet, Greet, and Eat
- Creative Collective
- Dungeons & Worry Dragons
- Thriving with ADHD/ADD
- Living with Chronic Pain
- Mindfulness Meditation
- Dissertation & Thesis Support Group
- Tending to Anti-Asian Racism During a Pandemic
- Mindful Medicine for Women of Colour
- Mental Health Monday: Stress Management Tips for Online Environments
- LGBTQ+ Radical Self-Care Groups
- Support Over Suicide & Students in Distress
- Nurturing Resilience
- Staying Well, Staying Committed
- Black Student Support and Healing Space
- Connected Globally and Adjusting Locally
- International Student Support Group
- Mental Wellness During COVID-19
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation Group
- Experience Disability
- Thrive Week: Well-Being During These Times
- COPE - Compassion Over Pain Endurance
- Health Peers
- Hi-FIVE Movement
- Faculty & Staff
- Articles & Stories
A practical and informative seminar for anyone interested in learning more about anxiety and depression.
This seminar is open to any students, staff or faculty who are interested in learning more about anxiety and depression, both for those who have lived experience and those who just want to learn more. This seminar aims to help you understand the symptoms of anxiety and depression and the maintaining factors that can perpetuate these symptoms. You can also learn strategies to manage and help reduce symptoms. Information about resources for those wanting further help or support will be provided.
This seminar is not meant for diagnostic purposes and attending this seminar does not mean participants are entering into a therapeutic relationship with SFU Health & Counselling.
There will be an interactive LiveChat in parallel with the seminar, with a chance to share your thoughts or questions with Dr. Shona Adams and the SFU Health & Counselling LiveChat moderators. There will also be time after the seminar for a Q&A session with Dr. Shona Adams.
About the Facilitator
Shona is a Registered Clinical Counsellor and Psychologist who trained as a Clinical Psychologist in Oxford, U.K.. She is dual citizen who immigrated to Canada when she was 9 years old, previously living in South Africa, Thailand and Malaysia. She predominantly uses a Human Givens and a CBT approach and is a specialist in treating traumas and complex mental health disorders. She uses a strength-based solution-focused model, working collaboratively to help people understand their difficulties and learn different strategies to interact with them. She is humbly aware of her white privilege and is passionate with facilitating people to reach their full potential within a caring and empowering environment.
Alternatively, we offer an asynchronous version of this seminar so you can access the information during your own time.
Information about future synchronous or LiveChat versions of "Understanding and Coping with Anxiety and Depression" will be announced there as well.