February 14th is a Memorial Day to remember murdered and missing Indigenous Women, Girls, and Two Spirit family. The ISC remembers and honours all our Indigenous loved ones who have been murdered and gone missing. We encourage others to join us in supporting this event and continue raising awareness. Thank you to the FNSA for creating a powerful and important piece to recognize MMIWG2. Please visit their Instagram (@sfu.fnsa) and Facebook pages to learn more.
May 5th is National Day of Awareness for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Girls and Two-Spirit People. The ISC remembers and honours all our Indigenous loved ones who have been murdered and gone missing. We encourage others to join us in raising awareness on this day.
May 5th is also Red Dress Day, a campaign started by Métis artists Jamie Black and has been used to symbolize the thousands of MMIWG2S. Hang a red dress to support women who are on the frontlines fighting for all of us everyday.
MMIWG Services and Resources:
The following list has been compiled by the Pacific Association of First Nations Women (visit site).
- Free, Online 1-1 Counselling with Char Leon - for Indigneous peoples who have missing or murdered family members (Sign-up)
- Reclaiming Power and Space: The Final Report
- Reclaiming Power and Space: Calls for Justice
- MMIWG and Violence Prevention
- Sister Watch: Protecting Women in the Downtown Eastside
- Coalition MMIWG Inquiry
- MMIWG-related articles on UBCIC website
- Downtown Eastside Women's Centre Report
Support by Phone:
- For immediate emotional assistance, call 1-844-413-6649. This is a national, toll-free 24/7 crisis call line providing support for anyone who requires emotional assistance related to missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls.
- Health Support Services Directory Per Region (phone numbers)
- BC Bereavement Line
- Kuu-us Crisis Line Society
- Hope for Wellness Help Line - Immediate help to all Indigneous peoples across Canada
SFU Health & Counselling Services:
- Mental health support case manager (Deborah) - firstname.lastname@example.org