Global Community @ SFU
Kickstart your SFU journey by becoming a member of the Global Community @ SFU: make valuable social connections, explore Vancouver and British Columbia, and experience the diverse culture of SFU.
Global Community @ SFU combines the best parts of international orientation, social events, and peer mentorship into one program. Be part of our inclusive community and join us in educational and engaging peer-to-peer discussions, fun activities, a day trip to Whistler, and mini excursions around Metro Vancouver.
Join Global Community @ SFU - Spring 2020 Cohort
Start or continue your journey at SFU by building a supportive community around you. Led by dedicated student volunteers, this program will give you the opportunity to learn about the culture of SFU and Canada while you meet new friends and explore what your community has to offer. See photos of our past events and programming on our Facebook and Instagram.
This program is open to all degree-seeking undergraduate students at SFU and who are:
- Looking for diverse connections and friends across campus; and/or
- Looking for intercultural learning opportunities; and/or
- Newly starting at SFU or recently started, including transfer students from FIC and other institutions; and/or
- Looking for personalized support in their transition to SFU
The program is led by a group of dedicated student volunteers known as Community Peers. Community Peers collaborate together to host events and meet ups for members registered with the Global Community @ SFU. Together, they host peer-to-peer group discussions with the members sharing tips from their time at SFU and celebrating diversity through intercultural socials.
You can request one to one mentorship and be matched with a Community Peer who will answer your questions one-on-one, and provide advice on all aspects of life at SFU.
Customize, personalize, tailor your program
Global Community @ SFU will offer various events and trips over the course of one term. As a member you will be inivted to all the events and you can choose to attend as many events as you want. See our past events and photos on our Facebook and Instagram.
- Welcome event for all the community members and those students who want to learn more about the program.
- Learn helpful tips from current students while enjoying free food and fun activities.
- Enjoy seasonal celebrations
- Get a free ticket to Whistler, which includes 1-hour tour at Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre
- Pick your Bite-size Vancouver events to explore Metro Vancouver and experience what your new community has to offer
- Personalized support - community members receive one-on-one or group support from a current SFU student
- Free tickets to all program events listed above, all of which include food and fun activities.
- Learn tips and useful resources from your peers in a relaxed, small group environment while sharing your culture with the SFU community.
- Get to know students and staff working at International Services for Students, and be the first to hear about upcoming volunteer and employment opportunities!
- Free registration for the kick-off party, five Community meet-ups including a seasonal celebration, food, and fun activities, and four Bite-size Vancouver events (You can choose to attend as many events as you want)
- Ticket to Whistler (including a free admission to Squamish Lil'wat Cultural Centre tour)
Duration: 1 term (Spring 2020)