A charter for the Interfaith Centre of Simon Fraser University
1.1 Mission Statement
At the Interfaith Centre of Simon Fraser University we aim to:
- offer pastoral care and support for all individuals within the University, especially to anyone who has spiritual, emotional and/or practical needs.
- work through bridge-building - with others in the University, the wider community and with the churches, tabernacles, mosques and temples to encourage individual spiritual growth and development.
- provide opportunities for appropriate forms of regular worship, reflection, prayer, fellowship and outreach and celebration for all members of the University community.
- foster a lively, educational and informed debate about issues throughout the University which have a spiritual, moral or personal dimension: attempting to sensitivity unfold the relevance of spirituality and its necessity to what it means to be fully human.
1.1.1 Pastoral: The Interfaith Centre will...
- contribute to the life of the University through recognizing, respecting and valuing the unique worth of every individual.
- offer a full variety of information, tapes, videos, books and leaflets of a pastoral nature.
- offer time, space for reflection, friendship, and encouragement.
- provide full and accurate information for those needing specialist help, and be an independent source of support in times of personal crisis, bereavement and illness.
- work collaboratively with the University's other support systems.
1.1.2 Bridge-Building: The Interfaith Centre will...
- seek to nurture a spirit of wholeness, reconciliation and healing by caring for the needs of the whole person.
- seek to promote links between the Interfaith Centre, the University, and the wider community.
- help to build greater mutual understanding and co-operation in meeting the needs of the people in serves.
1.1.3 Worship: The Interfaith Centre will...
- provide opportunities for people to come together for worship, and to observe particular times of joy and sorrow in the University community.
1.1.4 Education: The Interfaith Centre will...
- offer skills, experience and expertise in raising awareness of the spiritual dimension throughout the University structures and curriculum.
- provide opportunities for reflection and discussion on personal and institutional beliefs, values and attitudes, informally and through offering appropriate curriculum support.
- seek ways to explore faith in contemporary society, and to promote inter-faith dialogue.