Immigration Documents

Before you arrive in Canada, you must obtain the correct immigration document that accurately reflects your student status. Apply early to ensure your application is processed in time.

New rules for international students came into effect on June 1, 2014. 

Studying in Canada for less than 6 months?

If you are an exchange, visiting or ESL student here for one term or less, you may enter Canada as a visitor and study at SFU without a study permit (visit the IRCC website for more information). 

If there is a possibility that your studies will extend to longer than 6 months, we recommend that you obtain a study permit before coming to Canada. Holding a valid study permit also permits you to accept on-campus employment as long as you meet the eligibility requirements to work on campus.

Please note that if you are from one of certain countries, you will need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada, even if a study permit is not required for your studies. Starting fall 2016, most travellers entering Canada will need either an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a TRV. Visit the IRCC website for more information.

Studying in Canada for 6 months or more?

Before you can study in Canada, you must apply to your closest Canadian Embassy or Consulate for a Study Permit

Depending on your nationality or citizenship, you may need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) as well. To see if you require a TRV or eTA, please visit the IRCC website.

The visa officer will process your application for a TRV or eTA at the same time as your study permit. You do not need a separate application.

Transferring to SFU from another Canadian institution?

You must log in to your MyCIC account and inform IRCC that you have transferred to SFU from your previous institution before you begin your studies at SFU.

If your study permit will be expiring soon, visit the extend your study permit section for instructions on how to extend your status.