Whether you are an international student holding a study permit, or a Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is new to Canadian culture and post-secondary institution settings, you are strongly encouraged to attend the International Student Orientation.
Choose from a variety of workshops and information sessions to create an Orientation day unique to you and your needs. Topics will include (but are not limited to):
- Academic culture at SFU
- Immigration and employment regulations for international students
- Medical insurance (BC MSP, guard.me@ SFU Plan, StudentCare)
- Getting involved on campus
- Settlement Services for New Canadians and Permanent Residents
- Academic Support for English as Additional Language students
- Connecting with students and peer leaders
This free, one-day Orientation aims to ease your process of adapting to a new social and academic environment at Simon Fraser University.
I'm still not sure. Which Orientation should I attend?
What other welcome events are available to me?
As an incoming student, you are strongly encourage to attend Orientation and other welcome events.
International Undergraduate/Exchange/Study Abroad Students:
- August 29 - September 3: Residence Orientation
- August 29: Welcome Day (Surrey campus)
- August 30: Welcome Day (Burnaby campus)
International Graduate Students:
What other resources can help me with my arrival at SFU?
The links below will provide you with basic information to plan for your arrival at SFU, including services and programs you may be interested in once you are here.
- Arriving in Vancouver
- SFU2018 Facebook group (International Undergraduate Students)
- Global Community Mentorship Program (International Undergraduate and Graduate Students)
- GPS Buddy Program (Exchange Students)
- Graduate Studies & Postdoctoral Fellows (International Graduate Students)
- New grad students and postdocs Facebook group (International Graduate Students)
- Graduate Students & Postdocs Facebook group (International Graduate Students)