- COVID-19 Update
- Healthy at Home
- Memberships & Passes
- Shared content library
Update to SFU Athletics & Recreation Health & Safety Protocols
Below you can find a summary of upcoming protocol and procedural shifts and when they will come into effect.
Please continue to review the SFU Athletics & Recreation COVID-19 Updates page for any new information and updates regarding facility access, programs and our operations.
Thank you for your ongoing support and patience as we gradually expand our services and operations over the summer months!
SFU Recreation Team
SUMMARY OF UPCOMING CHANGES
|Effective Monday, July 19, 2021:||Effective Tuesday, August 3, 2021:|
The general and pool change-rooms re-open, including access to showers. Cleaning procedures will follow current public health guidelines.
|Maximum capacity for the fitness centre removed.
Aquatics Centre maximum remains 18.(online reservations are still required for both the fitness centre & pool)
|Locker access is permitted for those with a current active locker agreement. New, fall-term locker sales will begin in late August.||
Two more fitness centre sessions will be added (Monday to Friday 8:00-9:00am and 6:30-7:30pm).
|Aquatics Centre maximum capacity increased to 18 (from 9).||Two more pool sessions will be added (Monday to Thursday, 8:00-8:45am and 9:00-9:45am).|
|Pool equipment lending remains limited to kick-boards. Personal equipment is permitted.||
|Fitness Centre maximum capacity increased to 50 (from 40).||
|Double bookings permitted at the fitness centre. Members must leave in-between sessions while cleaning takes place.||
|Spotting at the fitness centre is permitted.||
|Additional cardio machines and equipment will be available in the fitness centre.||
|Squash Court #4 is available for online reservations.||
Updates effective Monday, July 12th
Effective Monday, July 12th, the following updates to our procedures and protocols will occur, as we continue to gradually ease restrictions and expand our services this summer:
- Check-in for the fitness centre & pool will take place at each facility. Please continue to enter the Lorne Davies Complex at the same spot (level 100) and then proceed to either the fitness centre or pool to check-in. The central check-in location at the entrance to Lorne Davies Complex will be removed.
- The maximum capacity for the Fitness Centre will be increased to 40 people.
Any new updates for facility access, programs and operations will be added to our website. Thanks for your ongoing support and patience!
Updates effective Monday, July 5th
Effective Monday, July 5th, we will begin to ease our health & safety protocols in accordance with Step 3 of BC’s Restart Plan and as we move into Stage 3 of SFU’s Campus Recovery Plan. This will be a gradual process over the summer months. Any new updates for facility access, programs and operations will be added to our website. Thanks for your ongoing support and patience!
Summary of updates:
Health & Safety Protocols:
- Daily COVID-19 health screening will be a personal responsibility. Please stay home if you are experiencing any symptoms of illness, even mild ones.
- Masks are recommended in all indoor public settings for everyone 12 years of age and older who are not fully vaccinated (you are fully vaccinated 14 days after dose 2).
- Maintaining 2m physical distance from others in our facility is encouraged.
- Wash or sanitize hands frequently.
Online Reservations, Check-in Procedures & More
- Signing-up for a Fitness Centre and Aquatics Centre session is still required, however the health screening questionnaire will be removed. Continue to make fitness centre & pool reservations online through the SFU Rec Web Portal.
- Check-in for the Fitness Centre and Aquatics Centre will remain at the entrance to the Lorne Davies Complex on level 100. Wrist bands will continue to be required.
- Facility access remains limited to students, staff & faculty who are on campus.
- Maximum capacity for the fitness centre and pool remain in place.
- Many safety measures will remain in place within the fitness centre and pool for now, as we gradually ease restrictions over the summer months.
If you have any questions regarding these updates or our operations, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Health & Safety
Daily COVID-19 health screening is a personal responsibility. Please stay home if you have symptoms of illness, even mild ones.
Facility Access Reservations
Fitness and Aquatic Centres are open for access to students, staff and faculty who are on campus!
Facility Status Updates
Select facilities are phasing in access, while the climbing wall, lockers and change rooms remain closed.
Program Status Updates
Our Healthy at Home virtual workouts, are now available to join!
Who is eligible to use the facilities?
- As we slowly re-open our facilities, access to the Fitness Centre and Aquatics Centre will be available for students, staff & faculty who are on campus. We will continue to assess our operations and phase in additional services and access in the coming weeks and months.
Will there be a fee to use the Athletics & Recreation facilities?
- We will not be charging any fees, at this time.
Was the Recreation & Athletics Fee assessed to students for this term?
- The Athletics & Recreation fee was not assessed for the Summer 2021 term.
- Signing the Athletics & Recreation liability waiver online will not result in any fee assessments to your account.
How do I register for a fitness or aquatic session online?
- Access to the fitness centre and pool will require reserving a time-slot online at least one hour before your desired start time. Drop-ins are unavailable at this time.
- Students, staff and faculty who would like to use our facilities must first obtain an SFU Lorne Davies Complex Membership and can then proceed to booking online reservations for the fitness centre and pool.
Do I have to wear a mask?
- Masks are recommended in all indoor public settings for everyone 12 years of age and older who are not fully vaccinated (you are fully vaccinated 14 days after dose 2). Please be respectful of individuals' decisions about masks.
Will there be access to washrooms, water fountains, change-rooms, showers and lockers?
- Washrooms within the Lorne Davies Complex will be open for use.
- Please bring your own, pre-filled water bottle. Contactless refill stations will be available.
- Change-rooms and showers remain closed. Please come prepared for your work-out.
- Lockers remain unavailable.
Will I receive a refund for a locker that I purchased prior to SFU Recreation's closure? Can I renew my current locker?
- Locker services remain suspended for the Spring term.
- Lockers purchased for use in the spring, summer & fall 2020 will be refunded on a pro-rated basis. Locker holders have been emailed about the refund process.
- Contents will remain in lockers and will not be removed without prior notification to locker holders.
How can I access my SFU Gym/Pool locker to retrieve my items? Will my items be removed?
- If you would like to pick-up the items from your gym/pool locker, please email email@example.com and ask for instructions. Our staff will let you know the best way to retrieve your contents.
- Items from lockers will not be removed (regardless of if you renewed or not) until our regular locker services resume. We will contact locker holders well in advance as to when the locker clear date will be.
Will I receive a refund for a membership/program I purchased prior to SFU Recreation's closure?
- Program refunds: Our office is currently processing pro-rated refunds for registered programs from the Spring 2020 Semester. If you are eligible for a refund, we will contact you directly for processing.
- Membership refunds: Our office is currently processing pro-rated refunds for memberships that were active before our closure date. If you are eligible for a refund, we will contact you directly for processing.
When will in-person programs resume?
- We are slowly phasing in our operations and will continue working towards offering more services in the coming weeks and months based on the guidelines and recommendations of local health officials and the University.
Can I book a fitness studio, dance studio or meeting space within the Lorne Davies Complex?
- SFU Athletics and Recreation has closed their facilities to all external rentals until further notice. Please visit our Facilities page for up to date information regarding rentals.
What additional cleaning procedures are in place at the Lorne Davies Complex?
- SFU’s contracted janitorial service provider has implemented a high touch point cleaning/disinfection initiative which involves the cleaning and disinfection of high touch point surfaces in public spaces, including elevator panel and buttons, washrooms, partitions, flush handles, door handles and push bars, garbage lids, and blue phones.
- Additional cleaning measures are also in place at the Fitness Centre and Aquatics Centre. To learn more about these procedures, visit the What to Expect During your Reservation page.
Fore more frequently asked questions, please see SFU COVID-19 FAQ's.