NOW OPEN for Everyone (ages 6yrs+)
SFU Recreation is excited to offer Indoor Climbing as part of its programming. The Climbing Wall is located in the Lorne Davies Complex - Central Gymnasium. From June through August, we will be fine tuning our wall operations and programming, with a full launch in September 2017.
Below is information on hours, types of climbing available, rates, youth camps and more. Additional details will be added throughout the summer.
We're looking forward to you climbing with us!
JULY & AUGUST 2017*
|Day||Top Rope & Lead||Boulder|
*Day-time hours are reserved for Summer Camps. Late-afternoon Open Climb times are for members & drop-ins.
Bouldering will be offered in Fall 2017
Climbing times for Fall 2017 will be posted at the beginning of August
WALL CLOSURES & SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENTS
|CATEGORIES||DAY PASS||10x PASS||BELAY CHECK||WAIVER|
|SFU Student||$10.00||$85.00||$5.00||All climbers must complete a Liability Waiver or SFU Climbing Parent/Guardian Consent Form before their initial climb|
*Ages 6-13 years receive 25% off the community rate. Equipment included.
|Full Package / day-pass*||$5.00|
|Full Package / 10x pass*||$35.00|
*includes harness, belay device & shoes.
All rates include applicable taxes.
*Fall rates will be posted at the beginning of August.
1) Getting to Campus & Parking
· The Climbing Wall is located in the Lorne Davies Complex - Central Gymnasium.
· The Climbing Office is located in the lobby area beside the Climbing Wall.
· For directions and parking information please visit: MAP & LOCATION
2) Payment and Waiver
· Climbing Passes, Equipment & Belay Checks must be purchased at the Recreation Office (located beside the pool), Mon to Thurs from 8:00am-7:00pm and Fri 8:00am-5:30pm. Sorry, currently no online registration option.
· Pay and complete a Liability Waiver or SFU Climbing Parent/Guardian Consent Form at the Recreation Office or Climbing Wall Office.
· You will be issued a receipt, which you will provide to the Staff at the Climbing Office as proof of payment for climbing pass, belay check and to obtain your rental equipment (if purchased).
3) Pass Validation and Rental equipment
· All Climbers must check in at the Climbing Office:
- Members and 10x Pass holders may scan in to validate their pass.
- Drop-in climbers must have their receipt and belay status validated by a staff member.
· A climber who has rented equipment will bring their receipt to the Climbing Office where a staff member will provide them with their gear.
· ID will be exchanged for all rental equipment and given back to the individual when the equipment is returned.
4) Climbing Wall Orientation & Belay Checks
· During their initial visit, climbers will undergo an orientation and belay check.
5) Go Climbing!
· If you're new to climbing, see our programming section for great ways to use the wall
Staff Belayed Drop-In
Never climbed before or find yourself without a climbing partner? Drop-in during open hours and have our staff hold the ropes for you. Drop-ins operate on 1:4 ratio staff to climber and are provided on a first come first serve basis as staff are available.
- Staff belay is included with purchase of Climbing Day Pass or 10x Pass.
Learn the basics of top rope belaying from SFU Climbing Wall Instructors. After this course, you and your climbing partner will be able to safely and confidently use the SFU Climbing Wall on your own.
- SFU Student Promotion - June 5-August 31 - $10.00 includes a Climbing Day Pass
- Community - $35.00
June / August Days & Times:
- Monday, Wednesday, Thursday: 5:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday, Friday: 1:00-3:00pm
July Days & Times:
- Monday & Wednesday: 5:00-7:00pm
- Tuesday & Thursday: 6:30-8:30pm
In a larger group and want to try climbing? Book SFU Climbing Staff to belay your group. This 2 hour session is great for birthday parties, corporate team building or just friends wanting to try something new. Groups from 3 to 12 may be accomodated. Mimimum age is 6 years.
How to book:
- contact the Climbing Office at 778-782-4059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- bookings must be made a minimum of 72 hours in advance.
- ALL participants must complete a Liability Waiver or SFU Climbing Parent/Guardian Consent Form, prior to their belay session. Email completed waiver forms to email@example.com.
- SFU Students - $15.00
- Community - $20.00
Climbing Camp (9-14 years)
Climb on SFU's brand new indoor climbing wall! These half-day camps are an exhilarating experience filled with safety skills, technique instruction, games and lots of climbing. (Can be combined with afternoon camps to make a full day).
Perfect for beginners or climbers wanting to learn something new! Participants will be taught how to belay, an important skill that requires campers to be responsible for each other’s safety, climbing movement and much more.
|July 31-August 4||9:00-11:30am||$175.00|
All climbers (SFU Students & Adults ages 19 years+) must complete a Liability Waiver or SFU Climbing Parent/Guardian Consent Form before their initial climb.
|All climbers must complete a Liability Waiver or Parent / Guardian Release Formbefore their initial climb|
SFU CLIMBING CODE OF CONDUCT
SFU Recreation is a unique community of students, staff, faculty, and the public connected by active living and leadership development. Our Codes of Conduct are in place to create an environment that is safe, friendly, and inclusive for everyone.
• Use the Climbing Wall only during posted hours and under the supervision of a qualified Climbing Staff person.
• Respect and be courteous of your fellow climbers and the Climbing Staff.
• All persons must bring proof of membership or drop-in pass to the Climbing Office for validation prior to climbing.
• All persons on the climbing mats must complete a waiver and receive a facility orientation.
• All belayers must pass a facility belay check and display their SFU belay tag. Belay techniques must conform to SFU belay check standards.
• Belay instruction is only permitted by a qualified SFU Climbing Staff person.
• A climber’s harness and climbing equipment must be CE and / or UIAA approved and unmodified. All equipment must be assembled and used as specified by the manufacturer. SFU Climbing Staff reserve the right to reject any climbing equipment they deem to be unsafe.
• Right of way on wall is as follows: Lead climbers, top ropers, boulderers, spectators. Roped climbers have priority use. Do not use rope adjacent to any lead climber.
• Top rope belayers must use ground weights when belaying climbers more than 150% of their weight. Lead belayers must not belay a climber greater than 150% their weight.
• While bouldering, no part of the body should be above the 1st quick draw.
• All spectators must take care not to interfere with climbing activities.
• No running, food or drink, loose chalk, or bare feet on the mats.
• Remove all rings on fingers, and items in pockets.
• Use of earbuds or headphones is not permitted while climbing.
• Any person 6-13 years of age requires adult supervision (19 years +), must adhere to the climbing wall code of conduct AND are not permitted to belay.
Report any injuries, equipment malfunctions, or concerns to a Climbing Staff person immediately.
Any person violating University Policies or the Climbing Wall Code of Conduct may have their Recreation Membership or Drop-in Pass privileges revoked.