- Housing options
- Moving in
- Contact us
- COVID-19 Information
Funds to Catalyze Residence Community Student Engagement
Residence and Housing Community Student Engagement Fund offers small grants up to $2000 to SFU residents and professional staff.
The Residence Community Student Engagement Fund is designed to support student programs and initiatives that promote student engagement, training, and development for both individual and community benefit.
For More detailed information please download
Residence Community Student Engagement Funding Policy and Procedure
Scope of Funding
Initiatives that would be supported by the Student Engagement Fund include, but are not limited to:
- Event or program
- Conference Support (applicable for residents only)
- Guest Speaker
- Webinar opportunity
- Training and development course (applicable for residents only)
- Conference attendance support (applicable for residents only)
- Residence outdoor equipment
The Student Engagement Fund awards up to $24,000 annually to programs or services support student engagement, student training and development in the Student Affairs and the Housing profession, and student achievement in engaging the residence community. The funding is available for both student living in residence and staff working in the Residence and Housing Department.
- Student (including residence student staff): The maximum amount to apply for each proposal per academic year is $2,000
- Staff (professional staff): The maximum amount to apply for each proposal per term is $2,000
This Engagement Fund is open to all undergraduate and graduate residents who live in SFU student housing (either Burnaby or Vancouver Residence) and pay residence fees, including residents who pay through a deferral payment process, scholarship or other funding source. Residence and Housing staff may also access this funding in order to initiate a student program or opportunity that would benefit the residence community as a whole.
All eligible expenses must achieve the purpose of the Residence Life Student Engagement Fund; to enhance student learning and development within the Residence community. This can be accomplished by utilizing funds for:
- Supporting residents who are interested in the Student Affairs and the Housing profession for professional development (e.g. STARS Conference). This funding could be used for conference registration, travel, meal, and/or accommodation for individual visits to other institutions (study tour), organization or associations
- Supporting innovative and/or creative approaches and/or projects undertaken by Residence and Housing staff or resident(s)
- Support events for student appreciation that recognize their hard work and participation in the residence community
- Support outdoor equipment that benefit all residents in the residence living community
- It is outside the scope of this Student Engagement Fund to support projects/programs which are initiated and/or supported by alternate SFU student groups (i.e. Residence Hall Association; Simon Fraser Student Society, etc.)
- The fund is not eligible for use as compensation/payment for work either through an honorarium, stipend or other form of compensation/payment
- The Residence Life budget and the FIC fee are meant to cover program cost and the cost related to these programs should have been included in the operational budget at the beginning of the fiscal year through annual budget process, in which funded by Residence Life funding and FIC fees. The student engagement fund is to support a program, activity or event that is not budgeted in Residence Life funding pool or is not covered by FIC fee funding source. In another words, if the proposed program is already included in the RL operational budget or has a designated funding source, the expense in which to apply for student engagement funding is considered ineligible
Please submit your application and any questions regarding this funding to email@example.com
This funding program is in a trial period, and the submission deadline requirement may be changed upon reviewing the trial result.