- Housing options
- Moving in
- Contact us
- COVID-19 Information
General information during COVID-19
Residence and Housing continues to remain open to support the academic success of students who need to live on campus as we recognize that there will be students who will need to remain on campus. If a second pandemic wave comes in the fall, we will encourage students to move out as early as they can, if this option is available to them, to reduce the risk of possible community transmission for health reasons.
SFU Residences will continue to remain open to support residents who need to be on campus.
Keeping our community safe during COVID-19
SFU Residence and Housing special COVID-19 steps
During these unprecedented times, the health and safety of our residents and staff remains our top priority. As such, we have shifted the services and supports we provide to meet the guidelines put forward by the Provincial Health Authority (PHO) and Simon Fraser University while also working to support our residence community. These include:
- Closely following physical distancing practices, and have built these into our Community Standards and living expectations for resident students
- With the physical distancing measures in place across both BC and SFU campuses, residence activities and services look very different, including restricting non resident guests or restricting the numbers of residents in any given area.
- Residence Life staff are all working together to adapt and offer on-line programming, orientation and resources. We are not offering in person events or programs at this time
- We will continue to develop and implement different ways of offering services, programming, and support to residence students.
SFU Residence and Housing protocols
Residence and Housing buildings
Cleaning of all shared/public spaces continues to be one of Residence and Housing’s top priorities, with the use of appropriate products to disinfect surfaces and kill viruses. There has been increased focus on high-touch surfaces such as door handles. In addition, electrostatic sanitizing sprayers are utilized in shared washrooms.
- All staff entering Residence buildings are supplied with appropriate personal safety equipment (gloves, masks and sanitizing wipes)
- Working with Campus Public Safety and our partners in Student Affairs in support of the residence community
- Enhanced cleaning of the residence halls in high touch areas (e.g. shared bathrooms and kitchens, elevators, building and stairwell door handles, etc.)
- Working with SFU Campus Facilities and our cleaning services contractor to utilize electrostatic spray machine technology to sanitize common washrooms
- Providing supports and resources to support students who need to self-isolate / quarantine
- Only urgent and necessary maintenance activities are still being undertaken
- Plexiglass installed in Front Office
- On-going physical distancing between staff and students who come to the main office and limiting the number of people in areas
- Floor and window/door signage inside and outside of the office indicating where to stand, office procedures and protocols
- Limited in person hours of operation: we require all visitors to call or email in the morning, and only opening the office in the afternoon for in person inquiry. Visit the Contact Us page for more details
- Online chat function during limited periods (to be implemented in summer 2020)
- Only 2 people in the main office front desk area at any given time
- Only 1 person in the mailroom at any given time
- Computer station for student use is not available at this time
- Transition to paperless processes. We are not accepting any paper form submissions (everything is digital) handed in and ID checking is done from a distance using social distancing protocols
Residence and Housing offices
- The office is sanitized with a disinfecting aerosol spray machine once a day
- Payment processing terminals are sanitized before and after each use
- Sanitizing wipes, disinfecting liquid, gloves, masks and visors are available for staff to use at the Front Desk
- No contact service to ensure minimal possibility of virus transfer
Due to COVID-19, effective immediately, Guest Accommodations has closed for summer 2020. This includes the Simon Hotel, Townhouse Units, and Private Residence Rooms. The Simon Hotel will remain closed until mid-September, 2020.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept any reservation requests during this period. If you have a request for future dates, please note there may be a delay in response due to the current COVID-19 outbreak.
Testing Positive for COVID-19
Travelling from Out of Country
Residents who test positive for COVID-19
Residents who test positive for COVID-19 will be moved to an area where they can appropriately self-isolate. Additional cleaning and sanitizing are done in the shared spaces that may have been impacted by a resident who tests positive.
For more information about what Residence and Housing is doing in the event that a positive COVID-19 test occurs visit the Isolating in residence during Covid-19 page for details.
If you are arriving from outside of Canada
Students will need to arrange their 14-day isolation off campus. Due to COVID-19, we require all residents who are coming from outside of Canada to self-quarantine for 14 days prior to moving into Residence and Housing.