- Housing options
- The Towers
- East/West Towers
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Living Learning Communities
- Off-Campus Housing
- Residence Tours
- Housing Comparison
- Moving in
- Community hub
- Maintenance and services
- Contracts and handbooks
- Important dates and announcements
- Meal plan
- Move out
- Room switch
- Room stay
- New residence buildings
- Residence Community Student Engagement Fund
- Contact us
- Guest Accommodations
- COVID-19 Information
Keeping our community safe during COVID-19
Masks are recommended within residences but not required. For your protection, non-medical masks that cover your mouth and nose are recommended for indoor spaces for all individuals who are not fully vaccinated. Even with limited numbers of people on campus, common areas can be congested, making it difficult to consistently maintain a safe physical distance. Non-medical masks are proven to protect others from the spread of the virus. Remember that everyone has different comfort levels. Please be mindful of your fellow residents and community members during this time.
SFU Residence and Housing special COVID-19 steps
During these unprecedented times, the health and safety of our residents and staff remains our top priority. As such, we have shifted the services and supports we provide to meet the guidelines put forward by the Provincial Health Authority (PHO) and Simon Fraser University while also working to support our residence community.
- We will continue to develop and implement different ways of offering services, programming, and support to residence students
- Residence Life staff are all working together to adapt and offer on-line programming, orientation and resources. We are not offering in person events or programs at this time
SFU Residence and Housing protocols
Residence and Housing buildings
Cleaning of all shared/public spaces continues to be one of Residence and Housing’s top priorities, with the use of appropriate products to disinfect surfaces and kill viruses. There has been increased focus on high-touch surfaces such as door handles. In addition, electrostatic sanitizing sprayers are utilized in shared washrooms.
- All staff entering Residence buildings are supplied with appropriate personal safety equipment (gloves, masks and sanitizing wipes)
- Working with Campus Public Safety and our partners in Student Affairs in support of the residence community
- Enhanced cleaning of the residence halls in high touch areas (e.g. shared bathrooms and kitchens, elevators, building and stairwell door handles, etc.)
- Working with SFU Campus Facilities and our cleaning services contractor to utilize electrostatic spray machine technology to sanitize common washrooms
- Providing supports and resources to support students who need to self-isolate / quarantine
- Only urgent and necessary maintenance activities are still being undertaken
- Plexiglass installed in Front Office
- On-going physical distancing between staff and students who come to the main office and limiting the number of people in areas
- Online chat function during limited periods. Visit the Contact Us page for more details
- Computer station for student use is not available at this time
- Transition to paperless processes. We are not accepting any paper form submissions (everything is digital) handed in and ID checking is done from a distance using social distancing protocols
Residence and Housing offices
- Payment processing terminals are sanitized before and after each use
- Sanitizing wipes, disinfecting liquid, gloves, masks and visors are available for staff to use at the Front Desk
- No contact service to ensure minimal possibility of virus transfer
Due to COVID-19, effective immediately, Guest Accommodations will be closed until further notice. This includes the Simon Hotel, Townhouse Units, and Private Residence Rooms.
Unfortunately, we are unable to accept any reservation requests during this period. If you have a request for future dates, please note there may be a delay in response due to the current COVID-19 outbreak.
Testing Positive for COVID-19
Fraser International College (FIC)
Residents who test positive for COVID-19
Residents who test positive for COVID-19 will be moved to an area where they can appropriately self-isolate. Additional cleaning and sanitizing are done in the shared spaces that may have been impacted by a resident who tests positive.
For more information about what Residence and Housing is doing in the event that a positive COVID-19 test occurs visit the Isolating in residence during COVID-19 page for details.