- Housing options
- The Towers
- East/West Towers
- Shell House
- McTaggart-Cowan Hall
- The Townhouses
- Hamilton Hall
- Charles Chang Innovation Centre
- Living Learning Communities
- Off-Campus Housing
- Residence Tours
- Housing Comparison
- Moving in
- Community hub
- Maintenance and services
- Contracts and handbooks
- Important dates and announcements
- Meal plan
- Move out
- Room switch
- Room stay
- New residence buildings
- Residence Community Student Engagement Fund
- Contact us
- COVID-19 Information
Living In residence during COVID-19
SFU Residence and Housing community guidelines
SFU Residence and Housing remains open to support the health and safety of the residence community with enhanced community guidelines, reduced services and restricted access to certain areas. This page contains information regarding our reduced services including other processes during COVID-19.
It is mandatory that SFU residents and all community members wear non-medical masks in all indoor common areas including residences and the Dining Hall. Masks should cover both your mouth and nose at all times. Common areas include: building entryways and atriums, hallways, stairwells, washrooms, study areas, dining hall, elevators, and other high-traffic common areas where physical distancing cannot be maintained. Please do not leave your room/unit without your mask.
Residence and Housing community standards
- All community standards as listed in the Residence Handbook, remain in effect. Review the COVID-19 Community Standard Addendum.
- Additionally, in light of this public health crisis, a number of temporary community standards have been put into place. These temporary additions are not voluntary, and apply to all residences, outdoor residence spaces, and the Dining Hall
- Gatherings of no more than four (4) people (Note: appropriate group size may be dictated by the space you are in, and ability to maintain appropriate physical distancing)
- Any gathering of 2-4 people must practice appropriate physical/social distancing as outlined by Health Canada or it will be instructed to end
- Shell Basement and the Townhouse Lounge spaces have been closed until further notice.
- No non-resident guests inside any residence hall, at any time.
These are subject to change, and will be updated based on the Public Health Officer recommendations. Updates will always be communicated to you via your SFU email. It is the student’s responsibility to read your emails and be aware of any changes and updates.
Violations of community standards
Alleged violations of any community standard may result in interim measures/restrictions being put into effect for you, pending a meeting with Residence Life professional staff.
If you are found responsible for violating community standards, particularly those that put the health and safety of our entire community at risk, sanctions could include (but are not limited to):
- Educational sanctions
- Removal of privileges
- Bonds/fines placed on your account
- Jeopardizing future housing applications at SFU
- Cancellation of your current housing contract and eviction from SFU housing
Know your occupancy limits:
- All shared common areas outside of your unit (kitchens, washrooms, lounges, laundry rooms etc.) will have posted signage limiting the number of people in the space to ensure physical distancing.
Reduced occupancy overall:
- There will be reduced overall occupancy in residence buildings with shared spaces to begin the fall 2020 term.
Help keep your residence community safe:
- Abide by the community behaviour standards
- It is mandatory that everyone wear a mask when you are not able to be physically distant from others (ie. in shared spaces, going into the dining hall, etc.)
- Contact us if you experience any symptoms or have been informed that you have possibly been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
SFU Residence and Housing services
Front desk services
For our upated front desk services please visit our Contact us page.
Shell House basement
Due to COVID-19 Shell House Basement has been closed untill further notice.
Dining Hall has implemented a number of changes due to changes in B.C. Provincial Health guidelines surrounding COVID-19. Social distancing and hand washing helps to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Hours of Operations:
Summer Semester Hours
7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Summer Meal Plans (May 7 onwards)
For information on Summer 2020 meal plans including pricing and how to purchase, log onto your MyPlace@SFU account
Please note due to COVID-19 what Dining Services is able to offer for their meal plan (food/options/service) has been reduced. There will be no refunds on the meal plans and we appreciate what the Dining Hall has been able to do to remain open to serve students during this time.