We hope you had a fabulous time during your exchange and we look forward to hearing about your experience. Now that you are back there are a few things to do if you have not already done so...
Please visit the Exchange Credit page for instructions on submitting your exchange credit applications.
Write and submit a 1000-1500 word electronic report to email@example.com, including a minimum of four images (in the same document) from your exchange, within four weeks of your return to campus. You can begin writing this during your exchange. Please include details for each of the below categories:
- Partner university, country, your major/faculty, dates/term(s) of exchange.
- To keep your posting anonymous, please do not include your name or email address. If you wish to share your name, please only include your first name.
Preparation for exchange
- Include information you would have found valuable when planning your exchange
- Academic details (researching courses)
- Packing, what to bring
- Travel and transportation
- Financial details (i.e. cash/credit card based society, cost of living as compared to Vancouver)
- Arrival and orientation
- Accommodation and living
- Academic details (lecture format, schedules, grading, etc.)
- Country information (culture, weather, places to visit, etc.)
- Social and extra-curricular activities. Please be mindful that your exchange report will be posted publicly online. While it is great to recommend nightlife destinations, be reminded that when on exchange you are an ambassador of SFU and your exchange report should reflect that.
Reflection After Exchange
- What you've learned and the challenges you faced
- What you wish you knew before you left
- Advice/tips for other students
Please include a minimum of four photos in your exchange report. You may want to consider including photos of some of the following:
- The university campus, classrooms, accommodation and dining (on campus or off campus)
- The closest city or town centre
- Fun or unique activities that you can participate in on campus or nearby
- A photo of you (or you with friends/roommates). Please ensure you ask permission from others if you intend to include photos of them in your exchange report.
In addition to writing your exchange report, please complete our short Exchange Participant Questionnaire about your exchange institution as a reference for future students. Please fill out the interactive PDF and complete the following:
- Email the completed questionnaire to firstname.lastname@example.org as a PDF
- Subject line: 'Questionnaire - [Host Country, Host University]'
- Please include your full name and student number in the email.
How can I fulfill my post-exchange promotional expectations
- Volunteer for the Study Abroad Fair. An email will be sent out to returnees for volunteers in late-August.
- Join the GPS Buddy Program, a social network of SFU students who are interested in developing global friendships and providing support for new exchange students to SFU.
- Join the Study Abroad Ambassador program to share the benefits of your study abroad experience with the SFU community.
- 100 Word Summary: Compose a 100 word summary of your experience and to share with us. For example, you can talk about your transition to your new university/home, academic/cultural similarities and differences, new food/dining experiences, cost of living, etc. there are endless themes to explore. Please send us your summaries with 3 photos (with at least one photo of yourself, if possible). In doing so we will feature your experience and story through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram so others can see your host country through your eyes. Email submissions to email@example.com.
- There are various opportunities to assist International Services for Students with events and activities following your exchange (including Orientation for new exchange students to SFU, the Global Opportunities Fair, Pre-Departure Orientation for SFU exchange students etc.). We will notify past participants as these opportunities become available but should you be interested in a specific event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty/department activities or other campus opportunities. If you see other ways to fulfill your post-exchange promotional expectations not on this list, please check in with us at email@example.com to confirm if we can consider it an activity that will fulfill one of your requirements.