Strategic Sustainability Plan 2020 to 2025
Simon Fraser University has developed a Strategic Sustainability Plan which, given a global climate crisis, will mobilize the entire institution to embed climate action throughout its operations, research, academics and community engagement.
The plan outlines university-wide support for operational innovations for climate change mitigation, mobilizing strengths within the SFU community to develop and test climate change solutions, and providing opportunities to foster climate action leadership.
The plan includes 16 targets that all address our carbon footprint, including a shift to renewable energy sources, more aggressive energy conservation, and a move to adopt electric vehicles for SFU fleets.
Annual Sustainability Report
The Sustainability Office compiles SFU’s Annual Sustainability Report. The report showcases sustainability-related highlights from across the university, featuring achievements led by students, faculty and staff. The report is designed to show a compact snapshot of sustainability at SFU, and is by no means an exhaustive review of all sustainability-related initiatives, across all three campuses.
The Annual Sustainability Report also serves as a transparent reporting meter for institutional sustainability performance. The metrics below represent SFU's sustainability progress in the 2018 - 2019 academic year.
- 24% reduction in operational greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from 2007 baseline
- 157 students working on 20 sustainability-related experiential learning projects, supported by the Sustainability Office
- 61% operational waste diverted from landfill
- 85 Sustainable Spaces certified
- 41% of faculty engaged in sustainability research
- 13 SFU News headlines addressing or celebrating sustainability at SFU
- 2,700 kg edible but unsellable produce redistributed to the SFU community by Embark Sustainability’s Food Rescue program
- Awarded AASHE STARS Gold rating: over 90 SFU reporters contributed to the submission, which earned SFU a 10% increase in points from the 2014 Gold rating
- 3 Campus as a Living Lab partnerships: social procurement, researching electric vehicle charging stations and climate change projections for SFU