DEADLINE EXTENDED:Now Accepting Nominations
Nominate a deserving SFU student, faculty or staff member for outstanding leadership in advancing the cause of economic, social or ecological sustainability by Dec 1, 2017. Open to all departments, programs and campuses. Winners will be announced at the President’s Awards Gala in March 2018.
For full details, or to submit a nomination, please download and complete the form below:
About the Award
Every year, SFU members can nominate their student, faculty or staff peers who have:
- significantly improved awareness and understanding of sustainability
- raised awareness of the fundamental interrelationships among the economic, social and ecological elements of sustainability
- promoted and improved ecological sustainability through going above and beyond the normal requirements of one's profession or studies.
What is Sustainability?
As defined within SFU’s Sustainability Policy (GP 38) , sustainability is defined as:
“improving the quality of human life while living within the carrying capacity of supporting ecosystems." It should recognize that economic, social and ecological issues are fundamentally interrelated as they affect sustainability.
About the Committee
The purpose of the Selection Committee is to review nominations received from the SFU community and to recommend to the President up to one awardee from each category (i.e., student, faculty, staff). Awardees will be determined by the President.
Awards will be recommended based on the criteria communicated in the nomination information. Where the Selection Committee deems no nomination in a category to be appropriate to forward to the President, no Award will be made in that category.
Membership of the Selection Committee:
- The Director of the Sustainability Office (or designate)
- The Director, President’s Office
- The Executive Director, Embark
- One faculty representative appointed by the VP, Academic
To avoid possible conflicts of interest, members of the Selection Committee cannot serve as nominators, nor can they be nominated for this Award.