- 2025 Sustainability Plan
- EDI Statement
SFU 2025 Sustainability Plan: Spring 2020 Report
Simon Fraser University has published a Spring 2020 report on the SFU 2025 Sustainability Plan. The plan, approved by SFU Vice Presidents in early 2020, provides a framework for embedding and strengthening climate action at SFU. The plan is guided by the following three overarching goals:
- University services innovation;
- University as a Living Lab; and
- Climate action leadership.
To improve measurement and transparency, the SFU 2025 Sustainability Plan is committed to regular termly reporting, an annual report and a final report at the end of 2025. This Spring 2020 is the first installment of this reporting process aiming to improve accountability and transparency on SFU’s climate action work and performance.
The report includes updates, activities, and achievements that correspond to the 16 target areas within the plan. Some highlights from this report include:
- SFU ranking 19th out of 766 institutions in the Times Higher Education Impact Rankings which are based on the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Two community climate engagement sessions with an informal community of practice to consider how SFU can best respond to the climate crisis;
- The creation of the SFU-Community COVID-19 Response and Recover Network, which includes an emergent conversation on climate action and how to recover from the pandemic while transitioning to a low-carbon future; and
- Planning and preparation for a comprehensive, university-wide greenhouse gas emissions inventory in 2020.
It is important to acknowledge that the work included in the report encapsulates climate action work across the institution. It features work from all Vice-President portfolios and covers activities in many SFU units and departments. To achieve the goals in the plan and to accomplish meaningful climate action, it is necessary to activate leadership and embed climate action in all facets of the institution.
If you have any questions or would like to get involved with the SFU 2025 Sustainability Plan, kindly email email@example.com.