SFU launches a redesigned transcript
On July 5, 2016, Student Services and the Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows launched a redesigned SFU official transcript. The details and rationale behind the new format were outlined in a message to faculty members and staff from Rummana Khan Hemani, Registrar & Executive Director (pro tem), and Wade Parkhouse, Dean of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows. The message states, in part:
A transcript is intended to reflect the student’s academic performance at an institution. Its content is determined by institutional history, evolution, policies and regulations and is subject to legal constraints. Student Services and Office of Graduate Studies and Postdoctoral Fellows reviewed national transcript guides, consulted with Deans and Associate Deans, and have done an environmental scan of other university transcripts to ensure SFU’s transcript reflects a student’s academic path and achievements at SFU.
The following changes have been made to the transcript:
- Class size is now included in the transcript
- Class average is now included in the transcript
- Academic awards (fellowships, scholarships, prizes, and medals) administered by the University are now included in the transcript
- ‘Good Academic Standing’ is now included in the transcript
- The old transcript only displayed ‘On Academic Probation,’ ‘Required to Withdraw,’ and ‘Extended Withdrawal’
- Graduate student’s program status is now included in the transcript
- Additional security features have been added
- Layout of the transcript has been changed from landscape to portrait
We believe that the above changes to SFU's official transcript will 1) ensure our transcript accurately and clearly reflects a student’s academic path and achievements at SFU, 2) ensure students fare well with students from other post-secondary institutions for further studies and external competitions, and 3) enhance the security of our transcript.