- About Us
- Current Students
- News & Events
- 1 778 782-7887
- Room 2100, SFU at Harbour Centre
- PhD University of Toronto (Political Science)
- MA University of Toronto (Political Science)
- BA (Hons.) Harvard University (Government)
Anthony Perl is Professor of Urban Studies and Political Science at Simon Fraser University in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. Before joining SFU, Anthony worked at the University of Calgary, the City University of New York, and Universite Lumiere in Lyon, France. He received his undergraduate honours degree in Government from Harvard University, followed by an MA and a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Toronto.
His research crosses disciplinary and national boundaries to explore policy decisions made about transportation, cities and the environment. He has published in dozens of scholarly journals including Energy Policy, Transport Policy, Transportation Research, Journal of Transport Geography, World Transport Policy and Practice, Journal of Air Transport Management, Transportation Research Record, Journal of Public Policy, Canadian Public Policy, Journal of Policy Analysis and Management, Journal of Planning Education and Research, Journal of Urban Technology, Canadian Journal of Political Science and Scientific American. His work has been awarded prizes for outstanding papers presented at the World Conference on Transport Research and the Canadian Transportation Research Forum.
Perl has advised governments in Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, and the United States on transportation and environmental research and policy development. He served on the Board of VIA Rail, Canada’s national passenger railway. He has also served on the Selection Committee of Transport Canada’s Urban Transportation Showcase Program. He has chaired the Rail Group of the U.S. Transportation Research Board (TRB), a division of the National Academies of Science, Medicine and Engineering. He has also chaired TRB’s Committee on Intercity Passenger Rail. Perl is a Fellow of the Post-Carbon Institute and Adjunct Professor at the Cities Research Institute of Griffith University in Queensland, Australia. He has also served on the Vancouver City Planning Commission.
- 2020. Perl, A., Hern, M., & Kenworthy, J. Big moves: Global agendas, local aspirations and urban mobility in Canada. Montreal: McGill-Queen's Press.
- 2020. Howlett, M., Ramesh, M., & Perl, A. Studying public policy: Principles and processes. (4th ed.) Ontario: Oxford University Press Canada.
- 2007. Gilbert, R. & Perl, A. Transport revolutions: Moving people and freight without oil. UK: Earthscan.
- 2003. Lee, E. & Perl, A. The integrity gap: Canada's environmental policy and institutions. Vancouver: UBC Press.
- 2002. Perl, A. New departures: Rethinking rail passenger policy in the twenty-first century. Kentucky: University Press of Kentucky.
- 1999. Grant, W., Perl, A., & Knoepfel, P. (eds.). The politics of improving urban air quality. UK: Edward Elgar Publishing.