- About Us
- Current Students
- News & Events
Students in our master's program produce research on a wide variety of urban topics such as sustainable transportation, housing, inequality, diversity, civic engagement, economic development, the third sector, development planning, and municipal politics and governance, among others. Much of this research is highly relevant to current urban policy debates and topics of civic interest.
You can find reader-friendly summaries of our students' master's research projects below. Each of these summaries includes a link to the full thesis document in the SFU Library research repository (Summit) and many also include contact information for the researcher.
Note: The summaries found here represent only some of our students' MURB projects. More can be found in the urban studies section of Summit.
- Mathew Cocuzzi, SFU and the city: exploring meaning in community engagement
- Hamidreza Bakhtiarizadeh, The effect of innovation on income inequality in Canadian cities
- Samuel Frederick Baron, Sharing space on Granville Island: An assessment of shared street performance
- Sophie Fung, The Well-being of Low-income, Monolingual-Chinese Senior Residents: The Impact of Disinvestment and Gentrification in Vancouver’s Chinatown
- Charling Li, District energy and sustainable neighbourhood planning: A study of the Burnaby Mountain District Energy System
- Jordan Magtoto, Active school travel in Fleetwood, Surrey, BC, Canada
- Fiorella Pinillos Baffigo, Community, Space and Perception of Insecurity: The Case of One Urban Community Garden Project in Lima, Peru
- Patrick Santoro, Neighbourhood Planning and Community Support for New Multi-Family Housing Projects in Vancouver
- Patrick Ward, Common ground? Exploring community in suburban townhouse developments
- Graham Winterbottom, Creative Industry in the Mt. Pleasant Slopes: Understanding the locational requirements of industrial and creative firms in Vancouver’s I-1 Industrial Area
- Eric Brown, Housing preference in the peri-urban zone: the prospects for urban containment and smart growth in North Cowichan
- Amy Farahbakhsh, The greater good: integration in a surplus food management system
- Sergio Malatesta Muncher, An industry without grounds: understanding the locational patterns of manufacturing firms in the city of Lima, Peru
- Lily Canan Reynolds, Transformative planning practice and urban Indigenous governance in Vancouver, British Columbia
- Jacint Simon, Seedstock: a community currency in Vancouver
- Brian Butt, It takes a region: a case study of growth and governance in the St. John’s city-region of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Mark Friesen, Democracy, governance and Metro Vancouver: decision-making and the regional growth strategy
- Landon Hoyt, Conflicting priorities on the Granville Street Mall
- Simon Jay, How are pedestrians being impacted by separated bike lanes?
- Adrienne Kinzel, The origins of traffic calming in Vancouver's West End
- Darren Proulx, Where to go? Designing bike-share systems around high-frequency transit and separated cycling infrastructure
- Shaughnessy Sturdy, From government to governance: the City of Toronto’s role in immigrant settlement service coordination since the Canada-Ontario Immigration Agreement
- Diana Guenther, How have neoliberal shifts from the 1980s to present day in social welfare delivery changed the services provided to street youth in Vancouver?
- Laura Slater, A case study of the green building sector in Vancouver
- Sarah Smith, Putting local food on the menu: comparing the food purchasing practices of Vancouver’s Chinese and fine dining restaurants
- Steve Chou, The 2010 Olympic downtown transportation experience: lessons for Vancouver and future host cities of mega-events
- Carolyn Gisborne, Allocating risk in transportation megaprojects: the case of the Canada Line
- Jillian Glover, Taking care of business? An evaluation of public engagement with local businesses along the Canada Line
- Teresa Hanson, Holding the line: the value of agricultural land in Delta, BC
- Sikee Liu, Power and the newsprint media’s framing of the Downtown Eastside
- Duncan Low, 2010 Cultural Olympiad impact study
- Erin Schultz, Making space for children and youth in Surrey City Centre: An assessment of child and youth friendly policy & practice in Surrey, British Columbia
- John Calimente, Rail-integrated communities in Tokyo
- Erin O'Melinn, Did the Town of Ladysmith’s community visioning process increase broader municipal engagement?
- Michelle Vernooy, Socio-demographic factors and civic voting behaviour: the case of Vancouver
- Niko Vujevic, Population demographics and transit use patterns in urban areas adjacent to SkyTrain lines
- Tom Walker, The role of the "builder" in community sport in Canada