- Faculties & Departments
- Community Programs
- News & Events
- Faculty + Staff
Sign up to receive a weekly highlight of engaging campus events, info sessions and workshops.
There are a wide range of community opportunities available at SFU Vancouver and in the surrounding downtown area. We encourage you to explore our neighborhood and to engage with and support our many neighbors and community partners by volunteering, checking out local shops and restaurants, or attending one of the many great events happening in our area.
Volunteer with Exchange Inner City
Exchange Inner City is a community organization of individuals and community groups in Vancouver’s inner city. Collectively, they foster a vibrant and inclusive local economy where all residents can prosper and live full and rewarding lives. Volunteer by joining one of their working groups or attending the General Membership meetings. Their working groups include the following:
- Community Benefit Agreement Working Group
Meetings are every second Wednesday of the month from 4pm-5:30pm at 337 Gore Ave. in Vancouver
- Social Procurement Roundtable Meeting
Meetings happen bi-monthly on the first Tuesday of the month from 2pm-3:30pm at 337 Gore Ave. in Vancouver
- Retail Gentrification and Social Inclusion Working Group
Meetings are every second Thursday of the month from 10am-11:30am at 337 Gore Ave. in Vancouver
- Exchange Inner City Membership Meetings
Meetings are every last Monday of the month from 4pm-6pm at the Woodward’s building, W room, 5th floor, 111 W. Hastings St.
If you are interested in joining Exchange Inner City, please contact Alisha Masongsong at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-416-0318.
Volunteer with Urban Core
Urban Core is a volunteer coalition of Downtown Eastside (DTES) community residents, frontline workers, and anyone interested in supporting the DTES. They come together to network, support each other's advocacy efforts in the community, and to learn about new projects, programs or models in the community that could fall into any of the following categories: health and wellbeing, mental health, substance use/addiction, housing, homelessness, income generation/employment/training, social enterprise, community safety, transportation, child care, education, family and children, Indigenous culture/concerns/reconciliation, and more.
Urban Core meets monthly on the third Tuesday of the month from 12pm-1:30pm at 138 E. Cordova St in Vancouver in the 3rd floor meeting room. Anyone is welcome to attend.
If you are interested in joining Urban Core, please contact Alisha Masongsong at email@example.com or 604-416-0318.
Free Haircuts for SFU Vancouver Students, Staff and Faculty at London School of
The London School of Barbering is offering free haircuts to SFU Vancouver students, staff and faculty!
114 W. Hastings St, Vancouver, BC V6B 1G8
Hours of Operation:
- Appointments are not required, but they can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 604-685-4122
- Students, staff and faculty should indicate they’re from SFU and present ID if requested
- Haircuts are free to men and women with hair shorter in length (barbers are limited in their abilities to cut longer hair)
- Students, staff and faculty will receive 15% off hairstyling services including haircuts for longer hair and color
- There is no maximum amount of times students, staff and faculty can visit
For questions, please contact Kerry at email@example.com.
F T I