Distinguished SFU Professsors
As a joint initiative of Simon Fraser University’s Vice-President, Academic and Provost and the Vice-President, Research and International, the Distinguished SFU Professor program recognizes SFU research faculty members of distinction who have achieved exceptional performance and distinguished accomplishments relative to their rank and years of service.
The 2019 Distinguished SFU Professors are:
- Professor Lara Aknin, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Psychology
- Professor Fiona Brinkman, Faculty of Science, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- Professor Mike Hayden, Faculty of Science, Physics
- Professor Robert Hogg, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Mark Jaccard, Faculty of Environment, Resource & Environmental Management
- Professor Dal Yong Jin, Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology, School of Communication
- Professor Danièle Moore, Faculty of Education
- Professor Laurel Weldon, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Political Science
Nominations are made by Faculty Deans and university Vice-Presidents. Final selections are made by the VPA and VPRI, using advice received from the Distinguished SFU Professor Advisory Committee.
Please see the Advisory Committee Terms of Reference.
The Advisory Committee members and the faculties they represent are:
- Professor Wendy Chun, Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology
- Professor Richard Lockhart, Faculty of Science
- Professor Marlene Moretti, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Professor Ash Parameswaran, Faculty of Applied Sciences
- Professor Michael Richards, Faculty of Environment
- Professor Rosalie Tung, SFU Beedie School of Business
- Professor Hui Xie, Faculty of Health Sciences
- Professor Rina Zazkis, Faculty of Education
The title of Distinguished SFU Professor recognizes and rewards research faculty of any rank who meet the following criteria:
- Have a demonstrated and sustained record of distinguished, exemplary accomplishments in their scholarly or creative work/or innovation relative to their rank and stage of their career;
- Have a national or international reputation;
- Have achieved pre-eminence in their field while also aligning with the university’s strategic objective and/or emerging priorities; and
- Have a demonstrated commitment to collegial leadership and to engagement.
For more information on the nomination and adjudication of the Distinguished SFU Professor initiative, please contact the Vice-President, Academic Office at 778.782.3925 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.