Celebrating and Assessing Teaching Excellence
To foster an institutional culture where the practice of teaching is valued, meaningfully assessed and supported by ongoing development, the Vice-Provost, Learning and Teaching, supports and advances the celebration and assessment of teaching.
We are raising the profile of teaching by celebrating instructors who inspire their students and colleagues.
- A new policy on Excellence in Teaching Awards was launched in 2022 to strengthen the reach of this program. The Awards for Excellence in Teaching now include specialized awards, increased monies and greater flexibility in how those monies are received. Read more about the changes in our newsletter article.
- Launching in 2023, the Network for Excellent Teaching (NET), will provide peer mentorship and support, as well as professional development opportunities determined in collaboration with Awards for Excellence in Teaching winners.
See what teaching excellence looks like ...
To find out about past Award for Excellence in Teaching winners, see our gallery of teaching excellence.
SFU’s faculty teaching fellows are continuing faculty members within each Faculty who support the continued improvement of teaching and learning within the Faculty. Learn more and view a list of your fellows here.
We are helping make assessment of teaching a more effective and streamlined process.
- Guidance on assessing teaching specific to the SFUFA-SFU collective agreement is now available via a one page guide by the Vice-Provost, Learning and Teaching.
- Guidance on best practices in teaching assessment, including one-on-one consultations, can be accessed via the Centre for Educational Excellence.
- A new end of term course experience survey program was launched in 2022 to help instructors and academic leadership gather more meaningful and better quality student course feedback. The new survey program is based on the recommendations of the SETC Improvement Project, which examined multiple dimensions of SFU's former course experience survey program, such as:
See all of the reports produced through the SETC Improvement project, as well as additional background documents informing SFU's approach to assessing teaching on our Past Reports page.