Week 4 of GEN seminar: Experiences on the Web

Dear GEN members:

We're moving into the fourth week of our Global Educators' Network
"Experiences on the Web" seminar, facilitated by Curtis Bonk, Indiana
University. This is part II in a series on "Faculty Sharing and
Collaboration".

So far we've covered a lot of ground! Members have been sharing their
own experiences (dubbed the Sunny and Share Show!), as well as
identifying issues, tools, and frameworks to facilitate this sharing.
We're addressing important questions such as:

* What motivates us to contribute to the advancement of online education?

We've identified:
-personal gain, satisfaction, and pride
-giving back to the community

* What do we want to share?

We've identified:
-beliefs about online learning and teaching, both across and within disciplines
-best practices, as well as not-so-successful experiences
-research

* How do we share experiences on the Web?

We've identified:
-consistent framework that takes advantage of existing information on
the web   such as reflective and guided "tours" and cases of online
experiences
-a network / social group such as the Global Educator's Network
-Course management systems with integrated templates for effective
online teaching strategies

 From this discussion we continue to raise many new questions...
What are the important components of experience cases?
How much structure should there be in an online professional
development forum such as GEN?
How can course management systems scaffold learning without
decreasing teacher innovation?
Who owns the materials?
When you are new to teaching online, how do you know what you need?

In addition, we continue to build on our GEN resources and many
articles and web sites have been contributed through this seminar.

It's never too late to join GEN seminars. We expect and welcome
late-comers, new-comers, lurkers and leaders! Please join us!

Register for this seminar, and browse past seminars at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

p.s. Can't remember your GEN password? Send a quick note by replying
to this message.