GEN Update September 10, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/
To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this message.

GEN Member Questionnaire

Have you responded to our GEN Member Questionnaire? As the Global
Educators' Network continues to grow, we wish to ensure that members'
interests and needs are met. Please take a few minutes to provide
feedback about your involvement in GEN activities.
http://webintel.net/websurvey4/Survey.asp?nSurvey=425

Register Today! Our Next Seminar begins Monday, September 11th

ThoughtShare: Visual Thinking Space

With the proliferation of web-based resources combined with
widespread adoption of collaborative and research-based strategies in
online courses, learners are faced with new challenges in gathering,
organizing, publishing, and sharing web-based information. In this
GEN seminar, you are invited to experience a state-of-the-art
collaborative visualization and authoring environment and to share
your feedback and ideas for integrating this "visual thinking space"
into an educational setting.

This seminar will be co-facilitated by Brian Fisher, Associate
Director of the Media and Graphics Interdisciplinary Centre at
University of British Columbia  and John Dill, Co-Director of the
Graphics and Multimedia Research Lab and Professor in the School of
Engineering Science at Simon Fraser University.

Register: http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

Register now for our October seminar: Teaching to Learn

The Global Educators' Network now has over 500 members from 35
different countries. What is something we all have in common? We are
all faced
with challenges and obstacles in our transition to online education.
This "Teaching to Learn" seminar is an effort to team up those of you
who are new to
online education with GEN members who can share their worldly advice
to help get you started. The discussion will be facilitated by four
GEN members who are fresh with their first online teaching
experiences.

Been there? Please help out! Don't know where to start? Join in and
find out! We will work together to produce a "Handbook for Novices".

Register: http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

New GEN Special Interest Group (SIG)

The Global Educators' Network has attracted educators,
administrators, software developers, researchers,consultants, and
others interested in the advancement of online education. GEN has
also attracted researchers interested in studying GEN as an online
community of practice. This Special Interest Group (SIG) has been
formed to support GEN research interests. You are invited to join
this group and share your research ideas, dilemmas, and results!

Register: http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg
Tip for GEN members

On occasion GEN members end up with more than one ID and password.
Here's how to avoid it...

[1] If you forget your GEN password, send a quick note to
mailto:currie@idmail.com.

[2] If you are already a GEN member and you wish to register for a
specific seminar
-go to http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg
-select the box beside the seminar title
-click "register"
-This will take you to a form. BUT, as an existing member, you should
follow the path for "Members Only" by clicking the "continue" button.

Let's Turn Your Ideas into GEN Activities

In addition to hosting monthly seminars, the Global Educators'
Network is committed to helping educators form communities based on
common interests and goals. Introduce yourself and meet other GEN
members in the "Self Introductions" conference
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=30  and
contact us (mailto:currie@idmail.com) with your ideas for seminar
topics and special interest groups.

GEN update is prepared by: