GEN Update November 13, 2000

Global Educators' Network Update
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

To manage your membership, follow the instructions at the end of this message.

Join us for our next GEN seminar: "Supporting Students Online"
14 November - 10 December 2000

Here's a question we all need answers to: How do we help our students
to be successful elearners?

Join Steve Scadding, Rick Nigol, and Linda Gibson of the University
of Guelph for a discussion on the design and development of online
support for online students. Learn about the process, issues,
challenges, and technical requirements for developing an online
learning portal. Share ideas and strategies for supporting learners
in online classes of all sizes.

Go directly to the seminar:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=58

Final days of "Teaching to Learn"

What did we learn? Well one thing is that a seminar with 20
participants from 5 different countries can make for a fascinating
experience! When asked to list what we learned during the 5 week
"Teaching to Learn" seminar, some of us gave up...There were too many
things to list!

We had record-breaking activity (last count 580 messages) and new
ideas. Special thanks to Frances Long, Walter Greyvenstein, Deborah
Kerr, and Claudio Orea for volunteering so much time and energy in
this fun and informative GEN seminar!

The "Teaching to Learn" seminar is archived at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=52

Were you unable to attend TeleLearning 2000 in Toronto?

The conference may be over, but thanks to some of our GEN members,
especially Dave Barr for his thoughtful summaries, the memories live
on! Conference highlights and summaries prepared by GEN members who
attended the conference are posted at:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=61

If you attended TeleLearning 2000 and have some notes to share,
please post them in our GEN special event conference, a place to
summarize and reflect on conference sessions.

Sneak Preview for 2001

We have some exciting seminars lined up for next year, including
follow-up discussions from the TeleLearning 2000 Conference in
Toronto, Ontario.

* Online Learning Consortia
* Institutional Support for Faculty
* Support for Students with Disabilities

Tip for GEN members

Do you find it easier to remember your cat's name than your GEN
password? Make them the same! Here's how:

Go to: http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/UI/UI_admin.cgi
(Or enter the "Administration Building" from the Virtual-U main campus)
Under Personal Options click on "change password"
Fill in the form and click the "change password" button.

You need to remember your old password to change it to a new one.
Send email to mailto:currie@idmail.com if you need help!

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

Browse past, current, and upcoming seminar descriptions:
http://www.vu.vlei.com/vu/tlnce/PublicReg

send mail without a subject heading or signature to
         majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
         unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
         unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
         majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
         subscribe global-educators-network

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://www.vu.vlei.com/GEN

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!