GEN Update May 1, 2001

GEN Update
May 1, 2001

In This Update

1. Week 2 of 4th D Crossing: Virtual Communities of Educational Practice
2. Connections 2001 Online opens today!
3. Open Source II seminar extended
4. New Special Interest Group: Virtual-U Design
5. CZTalk User Study Completed
6. Manage Your Membership
7. About global-educators-network

1. Week 2 of 4th D Crossing: Virtual Communities of Educational Practice

How are Virtual Communities of Educational Practice (CEPs) changing the way
we learn? How does synchronous communication contribute to community
building?

It's not too late to join this unique combination of TAPPED IN synchronous
events and a GEN asynchronous seminar where we are exploring these and other
questions related to CEPs. In fact, we're busy planning part II of this
fascinating topic!

Register: http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access the seminar directly:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=84

View this week's TAPPIN Calendar of Events at:
http://www.tappedin.sri.com/cgi-bin/calendar/calendar.cgi

2. Connections 2001 Online opens today!

May 1-18

Connections 2001-- Points of View: Teaching, Learning, Technology, May 5-8,
at Whistler, British Columbia is just a few days away. We encourage all
delegates and GEN members to visit GEN: Connections 2001 Online to share
conference highlights, and to summarize and reflect on sessions, keynotes,
demos, posters, workshops and labs.

Frances Long, Kate Britt, and Sylvia Currie will present their GEN
experiences and share their presentation and notes in Connections 2001
Online. We encourage others presenting at Connections 2001 to also take
advantage of this online component to publish and expand on session outlines
and notes, and to provide an opportunity for session participants and others
to continue to explore issues and ideas in more depth.

Drop in and introduce yourself! Give conference delegates a sneak preview of
your presentation! Join us online!

Register for Connections 2001 Online:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access Connections 2001 Online directly at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=83

For more information about Connections 2001 visit http://www.c2t2.ca/C2001/

3. Open Source II seminar extended

With all the excitement and so many issues associated with TeleLearning's
Open Source project, the Open Source II seminar remains open so we can
continue to include the GEN community in this important initiative. We
encourage you to stay involved and support us! Newcomers are welcome!

Register for the Open Source II Seminar:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access the Open Source II seminar at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=80

4. New Special Interest Group: Virtual-U Design

As we move closer to the making the Virtual-U Open Source project a reality,
GEN members have identified a need to establish a SIG to discuss Virtual-U
software design and development. This is a place to make recommendations and
respond to ideas for improving Virtual-U. Together we will make every effort
to ensure that Virtual-U software continues to grow as our needs change!

Register for the Virtual-U Design SIG:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Access the SIG directly at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/VF_dspcnf.cgi?ci=82

5. CZTalk User Study Completed

Heidi Lam, a Computer Science student at Simon Fraser University, has been
busy this semester developing and testing new conferencing software. CZTalk
provides a new way to display and organize online discussion messages in a
network structure allowing multiple message reply, color coding of
participants, automatic and user defined visual organization of messages and
"detail-in-context" displays.

Using the existing GEN VGroups interface as her control, Heidi's user study
found CZTalk to be a better interface in term of ease of interpretation and
was suggested to be better in terms of ease of authorship.

Further information about this project will be posted in the GEN Research
SIG as it becomes available:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/cgi-bin/VG/dspcnf.cgi?ci=51

6. Manage Your Membership

Forgot your password? Send a note to currie@idmail.com.

Become a GEN member and register for current and upcoming seminars at:
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/vu/tlnce/PublicReg/

Subscribing and Unsubscribing from this List

To remove yourself from this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        unsubscribe global-educators-network

or from another account,
        unsubscribe global-educators-network <your address>

To subscribe to this mailing list,
send mail without a subject heading or signature to
        majordomo@sfu.ca
with the following command in the body of your email message:
        subscribe global-educators-network

7. About global-educators-network

This mailing list is for Global Educators' Network announcements. If you
have questions about GEN, would like to propose a seminar topic, or need
help with your password, please send e-mail to Sylvia Currie,
currie@idmail.com

Read GEN Updates on the Web:
http://www.sfu.ca/~scurrie/global-educators-network/

GEN update is prepared by:

Sylvia Currie, Coordinator
Global Educators' Network
currie@idmail.com
http://vu.cs.sfu.ca/GEN/

Spread the word about GEN. Please forward this message!