[linux-security] Alert: remote roote exploit in lpd

Topic
=====
remote root exploit in lpd

Problem Description
===================
There is a buffer overflow in the displayq code of the BSD lineprinter
lpd daemon that is part of the lpr package that can be exploited remotely.
Immediate action is strongly advised.
[There were several buffer overflows discovered in lpd before that were
fixed lpd in Jan. 2000].

Affected Systems
================
All Linux systems that use lpr, e.g., RedHat 6.x, but not RedHat 7.x.

Not Affected
============
Linux systems that use LPRng.

Workaround (recommended!)
=========================
Use the LPRng package (www.LPRng.org). LPRng does not require you to run
a daemon at all. If you don't run a daemon, the potential for a remote
exploit is gone. For RedHat 6.x we provide a LPRng rpm in
/vol/vol1/distrib/redhat/6.2/contrib, which comes with a configuration file
suitable for SFU users.

RedHat 6.x
----------
rpm -e lpr
rpm -Uvh LPRng-3.7.4-23sfu.i386.rpm

Solution (if you cannot use the workaround)

RedHat 6.x
rpm -Fvh lpr-0.50.5-1.i386.rpm

Other Distributions
Although several other distributions (e.g., Debian) use lpr and should be
affected as well, I have not seen advisories other than RedHat's or the
gerneral Cert advisory. I will post additional infomation to this list
when it becomes available.