Re: [linux-security] supported distributions

It supports it, and it is just as easy to do as the rest of the distributions;
however, you'll end up with a poorer product that requires more work (ie, more
like other distributions).

If you are concerned about limiting access to the campus, I'm sure you're also
aware that this is possible to do without restricting ourselves to NFS. The
chief reason that I propose otherwise is to permit easy automatic acquisition of
new patches from off-campus as soon as they are available. A squid cache of
packages would fetch new versions if they were present upstream, and not otherwise.

One of the major benefits of Debian is the frequently updated upstream package
sources and simple upgrade method. The combination helps administrators keep
machines stocked with secure, unbuggy software. Offering on-demand updates via a
proxy solution would preserve this, whereas periodic refreshing of the entire
package tree would require more storage (for the packages that nobody wants) and
be less responsive than a caching solution. I don't understand what benefits
would come with sticking to NFS other than restriction to campus which as I have
mentioned is possible with squid.

	Chris