Real Estate Development from the Inside Out
This course provides insight into the industry for people who deal with real estate developers or want to learn how the development industry is structured, how it functions, who the players are, what motivates them, and how they interact. You’ll benefit from a variety of personal stories from developers with a wealth of experience.
Look at other courses in
This course is available at the following time(s) and location(s):
|Van||See below||$445 + GST||Closed|
Herb Auerbach, development manager, consultant
Michael Mortensen, Senior Development Manager, Grosvenor Americas
Guest speakers include, among others:
Deana Grinnell, Director of Land Development, Parklane
Bob Nicklin, CEO of Affordable Housing Societies
Sandra Cawley, Principal, Burgess, Cawley, Sullivan & Associates Ltd.
Keith Burrell, Partner, McCarthy Tetrault
Dave Leung, Westbank
What will I learn?
By the end of this course, you will be able to do the following:
- Describe the history of real estate development and key factors affecting the industry
- Understand “the developer,” forms of development ownership, potential partners, and the development process
- Explain how value is added to land, residual land calculations, development requirements, and forms of control
- Describe sources of funding and financial terminology
- Understand the market and types of projects
- Apply what you’ve learned through case study analysis
How will I learn?
- Case studies
- Small group discussions
Who should take this course?
- Planners, architects, and landscape architects
- Engineers, developers, builders, and real-estate professionals
- Elected officials
- Transportation professionals
- Staff of non-profit organizations
- Environmental professionals
- Local, provincial, and federal government administrators and project managers
- Lawyers, financiers, and community advocates
Textbooks and learning materials
We will provide custom course materials.
Professional development credits
AIBC 18 NCLU
PIBC and BCSLA can self-report