Undergraduate Student Research Awards
Are you an undergraduate student who would like to obtain research experience in an academic setting? The Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) programs provide opportunities for students to be part of a major research project, while being supervised by a university professor.
The Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) will provide SFU with USRAs in 2015. In addition, SFU's Vice-President, Research (VPR), will be supporting additional undergraduate students who are working with faculty members who hold research grants (independent of source) through the VPR USRA program.
There are two VPR USRA programs; one for the Sciences and one for the Social Sciences and Humanities. Students can only apply to one of these programs per competition cycle. For more information on each of these programs, click the appropriate tab above.
- Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT) Undergraduate Research Fellowship Award, administered by FCAT. Please contact them for application information.
- Biomedical Physiology and Kinesiology (BPK) Undergraduate Annual Research Prize, administered by BPK. Please contact them for application information.
- Len Brownlie Undergraduate Student Research Award, administered by BPK. Please contact them for application information.
- Research Award for Women in Applied Sciences administered by the Faculty of Applied Sciences. Please contact Dr. Carolyn Sparrey for more information.
- Charles Allard Undergraduate Student Research Award administered by the Faculty of Science. Please contact Graduate Studies for more information.
- The Faculty of Science Undergraduate Student Research Award administered by the Faculty of Science. Please contact Graduate Studies for more information.
Interdisciplinary students (i.e. students who have not yet declared their major or who are applying to a department other than the department of their declared major) are permitted to apply. If a student is considering working with more than one supervisor on different research projects they are permitted to submit two applications. Furthermore, students with a supervisor who holds a joint faculty appointment can apply to both of the departments in which the faculty member holds the joint appointment. Ultimately, the student can only hold one USRA in a competition year.