Student Status

Enrolled students often have additional requests or questions about changing their student status.

The information on this page should help you find answers to the most common questions.

If you need additional support, please email


* GradCourseChange.pdf
Graduate course change form

See also full list of forms for graduate students.

Part-time studies

While most graduate studies programs are on a full-time basis, the following programs expect their students to be working full-time and have scheduled their classes to accommodate working adults.

The following programs may be taken on a part-time basis but students are expected to be able to attend day-time classes on weekdays.

Western Deans Agreement

The Western Canadian universities, including UBC, UNBC, and UVic in BC have agreed to allow students to take courses at each other’s institutions for credit to their degrees and at minimal cost. The application form is at

Please note these terms of the Western Deans Agreement:

  • Graduate students will pay normal tuition fees to their home institution
  • Students may be required to pay activity fees or other ancillary fees to their host institution, according to host institution policies
  • Students should ensure that the course outside their home institution will be accepted as transfer credit to their graduate degree programs.
  • After the end of the WDA term, students are required to order an official transcript from the host institution and have it sent to the Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies.
  • Grades received for courses taken at other universities will not be included in SFU students' GPA calculations, though the units earned wll be applied to their total credits.


Graduate students may occasionally wish to transfer between graduate programs, or from master's to doctoral programs. Please complete the appropriate forms and submit them to the Graduate Studies office.

Graduate course audits

Graduate students may audit graduate courses, with permission of the instructor, senior supervisor and graduate program chair of the student's department. Such audits are recorded as AU on the student’s transcript.

Prior to enrolment, the student and instructor must agree on the requirements for auditing the class. These requirements must include regular attendance at class meetings, completion of readings and participation in class activities.

Audited courses will not count toward degree requirements.

A student may change enrolment status in a course from audit to regular enrolment, or from regular enrolment to audit until the deadline for late enrolment for the term. Normally, no further change in enrolment status will be permitted after that date.

See Graduate General Regulations 1.4.6.

Undergraduate course enrollment

While graduate students may register in undergraduate courses, these courses will not count towards the minimum course requirement for Master's or Doctoral programs.

See Graduate General Regulations 1.7.6.

Thesis defense only

Students who have not been withdrawn but have reached their maximum time can request an extension for one term only to complete their degree requirements.

Students who have been withdrawn/left the university need to be readmitted to complete their degree requirements.

Non-degree students

Normally, a non-degree student at the graduate level has at least a bachelor’s degree, or the equivalent, is admitted in order to complete specified courses, but is not seeking a degree from this University. A non-degree student will not be permitted to enrol in undergraduate courses.

Application is through the graduate program committee in the department in which the student wishes to work; applicants are advised to contact the department before submitting an application (see 1.3.1).

Transcripts of previous university work (or proof of obtaining a degree) will be required at the time of application, but letters of reference will not necessarily be required.

No credit will be given towards any degree offered by the University for courses completed as a non-degree student except, under unusual circumstances, on petition to the senate graduate studies committee.

See Graduate General Regulations 1.3.7.