Research Software Engineer (Full-time)
We are looking to fill a full-time Research Software Engineer position in big data for medical image analysis applications. The position is for 1 year, with a possibility of extension. All work will be done remotely (i.e., from home; no traveling/commute required).
This position is in software engineering for big 'medical imaging' data to support FAISAL lab research in the areas of cancer, brain, and eye diseases. The candidate would be part of a team developing a software environment that will allow big 'image' datasets to be processed automatically through high-performance computing (HPC) and cloud computing infrastructures. We are looking for a candidate who is a strong programmer/software engineer and has familiarity with the Linux-based software development environment and the ability to write production-level code. The projects that the candidate will be working on may also provide an opportunity to gain experience in front/back-end architecture for full-stack software engineering experience.
This position is ideally geared for candidates with a degree (Bachelors, Masters or PhD) in computing science and engineering who are looking for an exciting and challenging opportunity; however, anyone with very strong programming skills and software engineering background is encouraged to apply. Please be aware that this position is geared towards people who are set up to work from home and who prefer to do so. All our team members work remotely, and this will continue beyond regulations that are currently in place due to COVID-19. Please also note that salary will be discussed in the interview and will be commensurate with experience.
- Design, develop, and deploy high-throughput big 'image' data processing pipelines
- Write production-level code that is scalable and easy to support
- Work collaboratively with your team to develop, document, discuss, and optimize
- Undergraduate majoring in Computing Science, Engineering Science, or a related field
- Strong programming skills in: BASH scripting, Python and MATLAB
- Familiarity with the Linux environment
- Experience with ticket-tracking and version control platforms such as GitLab and Bitbucket
- Prior industrial or research laboratory experience in software development
- Top-notch communicator, both verbal and written
- Team-player spirit
- Creative and self-learning problem solver
- Takes initiative and is a self-starter
Nice to have:
- Prior experience in medical image processing and analysis
- Programming experience in C/C++ and R