Office of the President
Andrew Petter, President and Vice-Chancellor
Petter's Perspective: Notes from the President
Engaging the Vision: What’s Next?
It’s hard to believe that five years have passed since SFU launched our Strategic Vision to be:
“The leading engaged university defined by the dynamic integration of innovative education, cutting edge research and far-reaching community engagement.”
In that time, thanks to the initiative of faculty, staff and students, and support from the community, we have taken major steps to advance this vision and its goals of engaging students, engaging communities and engaging research. For example:
- Experiential and student volunteer programs have been significantly expanded;
- Research income has grown to almost $120 million and our new innovation strategy is helping to increase the social and economic impact of our research;
- We are engaging communities more than ever through community-based learning, community-engaged research, and programs that facilitate community dialogue and enrich and inspire youth.
However, as far as we have come, there is more to be done to fully realize our vision. And we need your assistance.
As engaged students, faculty, staff and community members, you have helped us to succeed thus far. You have insights on how SFU has lived up to our vision’s goals, on where we have fallen short, and on what now needs to be done.
“Engaging the Vision: What’s Next?” consultations begin this spring, and I urge you to share your thoughts in person or online. Consultations will focus on three key questions:
- How is the University fulfilling its vision and achieving its goals for engaging students, engaging research and engaging communities?
- How can the University improve our existing programs, initiatives and activities to further our vision?
- What new opportunities should the University consider?
Please watch our website and your email for more information.
Thanks to you, we’ve achieved a lot over the past five years. With your continued support, I believe that we can do even better at realizing our vision to be Canada’s “engaged university.