Office of the President
Andrew Petter, President and Vice-Chancellor
Petter's Perspective: Notes from the President
Congratulations to the Class of 2018
Congratulations to the Simon Fraser University students who graduate this week at Spring Convocation. I join with your family, friends, professors, mentors and communities to commend you on a job well done.
This week we are not only celebrating your educational accomplishments – we are also welcoming you as a member of the SFU alumni community. As an SFU graduate, you join an inspiring and growing number of alumni who are making a difference through their professional endeavours, personal activities and community commitments.
We couldn’t be prouder of our more than 150,000 alumni who reside in 140 countries around the globe – and are our most important contribution to the communities we serve. We hope you’ll stay engaged with your alma mater in the years to come.
This week we’ll also be gaining six honorary alumni – outstanding individuals who will share centre stage with our graduates. The University will bestow honorary degrees upon:
- Michael Francis (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Chartered accountant, innovator and former SFU Board of Governors Chair who had made lasting contributions to business, education and the arts.
- Dorothy Grant (Doctor of Letters, honoris causa): Haida fashion designer whose artistry and business acumen has shaped a new era of contemporary First Nations fashion design.
- Madeline Thien (Doctor of Letters, honoris causa): SFU alumna and acclaimed author of the novel Do Not Say We Have Nothing, which earned the Scotiabank Giller Prize and the Governor-General’s Literary Award for Fiction.
- Ashok Kholsa (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Internationally renowned pioneer in environmental sustainability, and developer of frameworks and global systems for promoting a sustainable future around the globe.
- Crystal Pite (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Internationally renowned Canadian choreographer, sought by companies such as the Paris Opera Ballet and the Royal Ballet.
- Stanley Zlotkin (Doctor of Science, honoris causa): paediatrician, professor and internationally acclaimed advocate for children's health, who is helping to improve the health of millions of children worldwide.
Congratulations to our wonderful graduates and exceptional honorees. Enjoy your day as we celebrate your success – you have most certainly earned it!