Re: Essay outline for Wednesday

Hi all,

This is just a reminder that your essay outlines are due on Wednesday in
your tutorials. I know your TAs have spoken to you about this, and we've
discussed these in lecture but a number of students have sent questions to
me and to your TAs about the outline so I want to restate the expectations
for the outlines. These are as follows:

The outline should be one page in length. It does not matter if it is
single- spaced or double-spaced. What matters is that the outline include a
brief statement of perhaps 3-5 sentences making clear the topic you plan to
examine in your paper. This topic should be broadly related to the themes we
either have or will be taking up in the course.

In addition to your topic statement, an indication of the position you plan
to take with regard to your topic should also be included in the outline.
This position will be preliminary at this point, but some idea of the
argument you will pursue in the paper should be evident. You should write
this in 2-3 sentences following your topic statement.

Finally, you will also need to include an indication of the sources you have
examined in the library to this point to support your topic. This means we
want you to include 2-3 bibliographic references - to books, articles, etc.
- which you have examined in thinking about your topic.

That's it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Stuart