Cmns 110 update

Hello everyone

First, welcome to Cmns 110.  I hope you enjoy the course. There are two items to draw to everyone's attention right away.

First, you should note that tutorials for Cmns 110 are on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, but because tutorials are not held in the first week of classes, this means that there are no tutorials today, Thursday, January 5.  There will also be no tutorials held on Tuesday, January 10, and Wednesday, January 11.  Tutorials for the course begin on Thursday, January 12.  I know this is a bit confusing, but as the term begins in the Spring semester on a Thursday, things can be a bit perplexing.  Just remember this:  Tutorials for Cmns 110 begin on Thursday, January 12.

The second item concerns the textbook.  This semester there is a new edition.  It differs from last semester's book in that two articles from last term were removed, and two new articles have replaced them.  So if you want to use last term's book you will find it differs in that respect only.  If you want to use a copy of the text from an even earlier semester, you will find that it may differ by as much as 8 articles, as I am constantly revising the text.  You are welcome to use an earlier edition, but you will need to make sure (on your own) that you obtain copies of the newer articles we are reading this term.  The bibliographical material for the two new readings in this term's edition are:

1.  Tufekci, Zeynep.  Grooming, Gossip, Facebook and MySpace: What can we learn about these sites from those won't assimilate.  Information, Communication & Society, vol 11, no. 4, June 2008, pp 544-564.

2.  Gleick, James.  The Persistence of the Word.  From, The Information: A History, a Theory, a Flood.  New York: Pantheon Books, 2011, pp 28  - 45.

I should be able to answer all of your other questions at our first lecture next Tuesday at 12:30 in the Images Theatre.

cheers

--
Gary McCarron
Associate Professor