Re: Campus Deployments

No other responses. Hmm, well, we're rolling out a pilot right now, with plans for a gradual Fall rollout to all of campus if no show-stoppers are identified, so I can answer most of the questions below:

----- "Will Froning" <wfroning@aus.edu> wrote:

> As a follow-up to the hardware question, I've got some deployment
> questions.
>
> I've got tons of questions so if willing, please post some details
> about your environment:
> 1) Anyone using HSM for cost management?

Investigating this. We may go with something like Sun Thumpers as secondary storage to allow for much larger quotas
> 2) What are the quotas?

Initially 5gb in the pilot. I'd like to be able to grow it the way Google does though..

> 3) Do you give students/staff/faculty the same COS?

We discussed this one a lot..I think we've settled on a single COS (too many students become staff, then go back. Can't really take features away from them once they're using them, so it would become a mgmt nightmare)

> 4) Do you have mobile licenses (number of users on it)?

We bought Zimbra Mobile with it. For $500, you get Mobile for all "Professional" licenses (i.e. fac/staff). Users will most likely be given Mobile access if they ask for it. "Mobile" only covers ActiveSync, which restricts what phones will work. We've investigating SyncML as well, which would bring functionality to a lot more devices, albeit with a subset of the features (but no license cost)

> 5) Any BES servers?

We plan to test-drive it.

> 6) Number of Mailboxes?

In the pilot, up to 5,000. Full rollout will be 50,000+

--
Steve Hillman                                IT Architect
hillman@sfu.ca                               IT Infrastructure